Sinking legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archer1960

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a relatively new diver (OW last year, 22 dives since then, including 5-6 since June. I have always had an issue with my legs sinking even when my total weight is right (15'/5m safety stop, 500psi in tank, no air in BC, adjust depth with breathing). This is the case whether I am in a 3mm wetsuit in Cozumel, or a 7mm in New England.

With my 7mm, I have already moved 6lb up from my BC pockets to the tank band (3 in each pocket), and am thinking I need to move a bit more up. Is that the only reasonable way of correcting this? My fins are slightly negative, so I know that is something I could change, but until I do, is moving weight around the best way?

Moving weight around may be the best way without changing anything else.

Each BC has different buoyancy characteristics. I prefer to see someone in the water to offer advice, as it is hard to envision what could be done with each without seeing it.

Could you move the weight from the tank strap to your shoulders?

I have found a difference in leg position. Have you tried bending your knees, so you are in a position to kick via the "modified frog" or "bent knee scissor" kick? I too am leg heavy, and that helped some in keeping me level. Costs nothing to try....

Weak core!

Weak core!

I don't think so! I have no trouble keeping my legs in line with my body; that's how I normally swim. But if I stop moving, my sinking legs end up pulling my whole body to a vertical position. Of course, that's not all bad; if I get disoriented and can't see where my bubbles are going, all I need to do is stop swimming for a minute, and I know I'll end up pointed toward the surface. :)

biggest thing is leg positioning and core strength. Look at pictures of skydivers, you want to look like that in the water. We have our students lay on the pool deck in that position and arch their backs so their knees and elbows come off of the deck. It requires quite a bit of core strength and it's a new body position, but that will help much more than futzing around with weight placement and new gear. With good body positioning you can account for quite a bit of unbalanced weight.

Unfortunately most people never learn how to hover properly and you can't hover with your legs straight out. The moment arm is far too unbalanced, you have to get your feet directly above your knees instead of inline with your body.

biggest thing is leg positioning and core strength. Look at pictures of skydivers, you want to look like that in the water. We have our students lay on the pool deck in that position and arch their backs so their knees and elbows come off of the deck. It requires quite a bit of core strength and it's a new body position, but that will help much more than futzing around with weight placement and new gear. With good body positioning you can account for quite a bit of unbalanced weight.

Unfortunately most people never learn how to hover properly and you can't hover with your legs straight out. The moment arm is far too unbalanced, you have to get your feet directly above your knees instead of inline with your body.

That back arch position you describe is nothing more than a low wrestler's bridge, which I have no trouble achieving and holding (thanks to several years of various sports including wrestling, and hiking with a loaded backpack).

However, I did NOT know that having the feet above the knees was the appropriate position to hover. I actually tried that on my dive yesterday just to see what would happen (seeing if it moved my center of gravity far enough up to balance things). But I still ended up vertical, only with my knees bent rather than with my legs extended, kind of as if I were kneeling in mid water.

perhaps try something like a ankle weight around the tank valve....

what you may be experiencing is the bubble at your waist or the inherent buoyancy of the BC since you say is is deflated (conventional jacket?) is pulling you into a vertical position.....

perhaps try something like a ankle weight around the tank valve....

what you may be experiencing is the bubble at your waist or the inherent buoyancy of the BC since you say is is deflated (conventional jacket?) is pulling you into a vertical position.....

Yes, jacket-style BC. I'll try to check on where the bubble is, and see if that affects what's happening, but I don't think that's affecting it. I *think* I remember starting in a head-down position once, and still ended head-up vertical. I'm not certain about that, though... I'll try just moving a pound or two up to my BC shoulder straps; I think I can do that without buying anything new.

archer1960,

I wear Scubapro Jet Fins (purchased new ca. 1987, sized "large" I think) with neoprene booties. I have long, heavy legs relative to my torso. In fresh water and wearing a 1/4" farmer John, I am NOT feet-heavy. However, wearing my 3-2 mm jumpsuit, I am *extremely* feet-heavy, which I simply put up with, though it's annoying!

I dive relaxed. I don't tense up this or that, or squeeze these muscles or those--core muscles, or butt muscles, or otherwise. I dive small-capacity single cylinders, and I dive with relatively little air in my BC. I prefer to orient my body in whatever position and remain in that position until I decide to orient in a different position. I prefer to dive with my legs "straight" but with a *slight* bend at the knees.

Now, when I wear my 3-2, I have to fold my lower legs in (back) a bit and move my arms ahead a bit farther to compensate for being feet-heavy. As I wrote above, this is annoying. But not so annoying that I will spring for a pair of lighter fins.

I've dived Mares "Planers (sp?)" fins before with my 3-2 mm, which seem perfect to me with this wetsuit for the way I prefer to dive. But I'm too cheap to actually purchase a pair.

EDIT: Maybe I should add: In fresh water, wearing my 3-2 and my Steel 72, I wear 4 - 6 lbs on my weight belt when I'm wearing my Scubapro Stab Jacket, depending. (6 lbs when wearing a hood and gloves.)

Hope this helps.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom