Sinking a boat with minimal damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh dear. How is your friend recovering from covid?

Is there no way to disassemble the boat and put it back together again in the pond?

He's perfectly fine, some light symptoms but he can't go anywhere near the house for a while because of the kids (one is with a weak immune system).
I don't worry about him though, he's one of the toughest guys I ever got to meet.

Unfortunately no, the boat is an old wooden boat, disassembling it might mean we won't be able to put it back together due to the deterioration over the years.
Also constructing a boat under water is out of my realm of expertise.

Even if we can get together to start work we still have to solve the issue brought by the neighborhood Karen and also work to get all of the permits to move such a haul in a residential area.

But after hearing rumors from my fellow platoon members of a possible draft coming up again im not too optimistic about finishing this project for at least 2-3 months.

I know this is an old thread but I actually just found this sub-forum and the read has been great... First off.... THANK- YOU to you and your friend for your service!

Secondly..... it sure sucks to have "Karen" next door. And the bureaucracy process is absolutely stupid sometimes.

As for sinking the boat..... it's a matter of center of gravity ballast.... and lots of it. Up here in WA we have the Edmonds Underwater Park with multiple boats of this size intentionally sunk in similar depths, only salt water. We have volunteers who clean and prep the boats or other structures and also maintain the park. The ballast used is typically concrete double cavity cinder blocks as they are virtually sterile and make great habitat for the multitude of salt flora and fauna...

If you can get past "Karen" and the political BS..... then you might want to call Edmonds Underwater Sports in WA state and get the number for Bruce Higgans..... the park curator. He can set a boat down on a dime.. and I'm sure would be happy to give you some tips.

I would definitely advise against gearing up and taking the ride on the descent. Just too much could go wrong.

Best of luck to you and your friend on his dream project!

Back
Top Bottom