Sinkers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there actually people that cannot snorkel without neoprene or a snorkeling vest? I mean people whose density will not let them relax on the surface with a mask, snorkel and fins. Heavy legs are 1 thing, but the whole person?

Pete

I doubt it in the ocean, but in freshwater I'm sure there are sinkers.

Moose can't float in fresh or salt water. Sinks to be him!

35 years ago, I would sink in freshwater even with full lungs. In saltwater, bursting full lungs would just barely keep the crown of my head above water. I was a rather skinny 155 pounds for my 6' height. A couple times as a kid, lifeguards jumped into save me while I laid on my back motionless, watching other kids swim around above me.

Nowdays, at 6'0" 185 lbs, I no longer have that problem.

My name is Bill, and I am a sinker; and dense (skinny).

If I exhale just by relaxing in fresh water, I'm headed for the bottom. I carry my SMB snorkeling so I can put it under my waist and relax if I'm going to be out more than a few hundred yards.
In salt water, just a bit of air in the lungs will do it, and the salt water is only 999 miles away!

A-ha! Dieting is a major contributing factor in most drownings. Fresh water must increase the risk also, then. Let that be a lesson to you! Dive warm and full!

If we see a moose in the water up here, we give them a wide berth.

I have seen it in freshwater several times - would not be surprised that some could be so in salt water as well. One of the people I saw in freshwater was so negative he probably would have sunk in salt as well. When I saw him working so hard to stay on surface in deep end. I told him if his name was Bob; he needed to immediately change it. I found Bob to be totally inappropriate for him!

here's a true freshwater story.. I'm sure this guy would've been a sinker in the salt.. I had a college football player/muscle builder wanting to give snorkeling a go.. he wasn't that tall, not a great swimmer but a fair swimmer.. I found a 3mil wetsuit that kinda fit him.. he sunk like a rock... I found a large life vest (one of those not so fancy ski vests, but still, a good life jacket) that was just barely big enough to go around his chest.. and even with 3mil wetsuit and life jacket, he sunk like a rock.. .unless he was moving, he was definetly sinking..and even while moving it was a struggle to keep on top the water.. unbelievable.
Myself, fresh water, 3mil suit.. let 1/2 my air out, I'm going down, especially if I'm verticle.

We were snorkeling on some island, can't remember which one, St Lucia I think, anyway the man leading our snorkel trip was paddling around with a life preserver. I question him about it and he said that he didn't float, of course I called him on it and said if you breathing you'll float at least a little. His response was to take a really huge breath, hold it, let go of the preserver and sink like a rock.....

Back
Top Bottom