single vs double arm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering....what's the advantage between having a single or double arm? I'm just looking for something to give me a bit of stability for my pt 010 (I might get a strobe later but for now, just the tray and arm (s)).

1st question: Stupid question but....why (besides having 2 strobes) would having 2 arms improve camera stability(as some of the web sites mention? You can't take a picture with a hand on each arm and depress the shutter, can you?

I've been looking at the Ikelite tray/arm and the Ultralight tray/arm...anyone have experience with these 2 setups? What about the Ultralight Pivot system?http://helios.hmdnsgroup.com/~under...&category_id=c3356a866e7b1bb0725e34e3f792bd3a

Much appreciated.

I had an Ikelite housing with single handle in the past and now has an Ikelite housing with double handle. I have to say that I like the dual handles better. The only downside of dual handles is that it is bulkier than single handle. Basically with dual handles, it is easy to hold the camera with either hands and you can always switch hands whenever you need to. With single handle, it is not as convinient to hold it with your opposite hand as you will have to hold the camera backward or holding it forward awkwardly ( your hand will have to come around the grip between the tiny space between the housing and handle instead of from the outside edge of the handle if you use the left hand for left handle, easier to hold it backward so your grip is from the outside). I hope this make sense, it is a little difficult to describe.

With my single strobe tray, I hold the camera with my right hand with my fingers on the trigger or nearby. My left hand holds the handle and steadies the camera. I see no advantage to having a handle on the right side unless you need it for a second strobe. To hold the handle with your right hand, you'll just have to turn it loose and reposition your hand to prepare and take a picture.

Does this make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom