Single Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys. Didn't know EXACTLY where to post this, but I wanted to get some opinions of other on Hog rigs.

I'm looking for single tanks to buy for my use. At the moment, I rent AL 80's. Renting them filled with EANx is becoming expensive, so I'd like to own something.

My rig is as follows:

DR Aluminum Plate
Hog harness
Oxycheq Mach V #30 Signature series

I looked at Catalina AL 100's a while back, but they're huge (tall, as well as 8'' diameter), and they have an operating pressure of 3300 as opposed to 3000 for an AL 80. I don't think the 8'' diameter will fit in the tank racks of commercial boats.

If I get AL 80's, they might be able to get doubled up later.

Steels sounds nice, but WAY too expensive for a college student like myself.

I want all of my diving to be on Nitrox from now on, if possible.

Thanks!

Danny

Edit: Average SAC rate for a 6'1'' 170 lb male, most of diving is done in springs, reefs, and wrecks. Usually not past 100 feet. I would like to have a little extra air than an 80, but they will do for now if that's what I have to do.

I dive steel 95s, which are 8" tanks, and to date, I haven't had a problem fitting them onto dive boats. It might be different where I am, because most people dive steels up here.

On a regular shallow 2 tank dive 30 to 40ft, I usually bring a single 130 steel. I set it up on the dock, and I don't change tanks on the boat. Gives me more time to help the students with their rigs. I have not had any problems with dive boats as far as tanks fitting in the racks. Diving steels also allows you to ease up on the amount of weight that you need to add.

YMMV

Cheers :D

If you do the math I doubt you will see a savings in purchasing your own tanks. The reason to buy your own tanks is to buy steel, so you can take weight off, and always have your tanks filled and ready to go. Keep an eye on Want to Sell - The Deco Stop for some good used tanks. You can buy doubles and split them up. Might even be able to trade out the double manifold and bands + get some money for some single valves. Also check other classifieds.

Wanting a little more air than an AL80 (77 cu ft) limits the options to one direction - bigger.

I am also not a fan of the AL 100 due to it's size, it's weight and it's service pressure. For the same weight and diameter as an AL 80 in a lot shorter tank you can get an X-7-100 or E-7-100 with a service pressure only slightly higher than an AL 100 at 3442 psi. They run in the $350 range new, but show up used for around $270-$300.

I have recently seen some X-7-80's for sale at around $250 which is not much more than a new AL80 and that may be worth considering.

Otherwise a new AL 80 (around $200 to $220), or a used AL 80 (around $125-$150) would work for you if you can live with 77 cu ft of gas.

Doubles often show up at very reasonable prices but you have to jump on them within an hour or two of them being listed if the price is really good.

If you end up with doubles and want to swap a manifold and/or bands for Thermo 232 bar convertible DIN/K valves, let me know. I have 6 of them sitting around - 2 new ones taken off new tanks and 4 new looking ones taken off tanks only a few months old.

I regularly see AL80s for around $165 advertised. If you go steel, the LP85 is a GREAT tank. It's similar in size to an AL80, holds more gas, and isn't as expensive as some of the larger steel tanks. Buoyancy characteristics are very favorable as well. They make a nice set of small doubles too.

Are LP Steels favorable for singles diving? I could see how splitting up 95's would be pretty easy.

Most of the shops around here fill partial pressure (Orlando), and I've been told to watch out with HP tanks, because some shops have problems filling to that pressure with pure oxygen. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Danny

I much prefer LP steels for singles or doubles. But any shop should be able to fill to the 2640psi of a LP steel, and many will fill to 3000psi so you get a nice boost. That LP85 becomes a 95 in the space of an AL80.

Whatever you go with, buy something you can use down the road. AL80s are the ubiquitous tank in FL and can be found at a bargain. AL80s can be doubled or stages down the road, steel 85s, 95s and 104s (or their sister HP versions) can be doubled up. For someone in your position, AL80s get my recommendation.

Diver's Direct was running 100cf steel HP 3442 PSI for $250.00. Don't know iif it is still being offered.

They are very similar in in dimension to the LP 85's. Even a very short fill get's you more boittom time than an al 80. They are similar in weight to the Aluminum 80's with better buoyancy stats.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom