Single Tank Cons? on Doubles Xdeep NX Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got me an xDeep NX Project. Doubles wing with 52 lbs of lift.

I was going to use it to dive it doubles and singles since shore diving California in sidemount is a pain with all the hills and stairs...

Anyways, when with my gf, I was planning on diving single HP100, 40 ft max depth, shorediving but heard it's not a good idea due to the giant wing tacoing and what have you. Also diving with a drysuit if that matters.

Is it too much to overcome the cons of fighting with this wing on single tank? What if I use a LP108, LP95, or HP120?

I'm thinking of getting an OMS singles wing if it's too much trouble or just always dive doubles.

Anyways, when with my gf, I was planning on diving single HP100, 40 ft max depth, shorediving but heard it's not a good idea due to the giant wing tacoing and what have you. Also diving with a drysuit if that matters.

You answered your own question. This will look like a mess and be uncomfortable. You can get an xdeep single wing (+ single tank adaptor) and re-use the same backplate and harness.

The major issues of diving a doubles wing with a single tank are drag from the excess wing size extending out from the tank area, and the tacoing effect lifting the dump valve up and away from where the diver may be able to reach it to control buoyancy.

There is also the concern that the excess material of the wing might trap air causing difficulty evacuating it sufficiently and evenly which can cause balance and buoyancy issues for the diver.

The drag issue will just make one a stronger swimmer, but not being able to reach the OPV/dump valve can be a safety hazard.

-Z

Everything Zef said.

Get that little Zeos 28l sportscar wing and live happily ever after.

Thanks for the reply all.

I'm going to get the NX zen wing for single tank diving. Cheers

If you still want to use the project with a single tank, it can be done.

you can sew small tabs of half inch webbing on the forward side of the bladder housing. You can then pin the wing to the plate using the tabs. This has a similar effect of keeping the wing to the plate like a set of doubles reducing the taco effect.

Having said that, I know of an individual who is actually using a project without modifications with single AL80s and does not have a problem with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom