Single strobe + filler light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used to shoot with twin Ikelite AF35 strobes till my recent trip to Indonesia. Unfortunately, midway through the trip I failed to tighten the lug on the battery compartment completely on the right hand strobe while changing batteries. It started to flood as I jumped in but I did not notice and switched on the strobe, which resulted in a catastrophic short and destruction of the device beyond repair.

I was unable to find a rental replacement strobe but what I did manage was to borrow a 12-inch flexi arm from another diver and this snugly fitted into the YS mount on my strobe tray. I then attached my 1000-lumen Epoque video light to that arm and used it at 10% power to act as a filler from the right side while using just the left strobe. The results were quite good both at day and night and what's more, I did not need to mount the focus light on top of the housing for night UW photography.

As mentioned before, I aim to retire from diving in July 2016. I have 2 major dive trips with about 80 dives pending in the interim and instead of spending some £320 ($500 approx) on a new strobe, decided to get a flex arm for £35 and use the video light as a filler for a single strobe in the same manner as above. What do people think?

One thing to consider: Color temp. What's the color temperature of the video light and the strobe? If they differ significantly, you'll get weird results.

Otherwise, if you're able to balance the intensity of a strobe (high) with the intensity of the video light (lower), I don't see any other big issues.

One thing to consider: Color temp. What's the color temperature of the video light and the strobe? If they differ significantly, you'll get weird results.

Otherwise, if you're able to balance the intensity of a strobe (high) with the intensity of the video light (lower), I don't see any other big issues.

I checked. The Ikelite strobe has a colour temp of 5700K while the Epoque light is rated at 7000K and is wide-angle. I am setting the strobe at a sharp angle (to minimise backscatter) and the light at a slightly less acute angle on the other side. The results looked OK but in a few days I'll post them with a report and await comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom