Question Single glass or two glass lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldladydiver69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it possible to use the single lense type mask if you have a prescription with for example, stigmatism in just one eye? Previously, I just had a basic prescription. But as I have aged I now have an astigmatism in my left eye so the doctor had to make quite a large change to that side. Or is it better to just stay with the two lense type? Also, thoughts on progressive lenses? Thanks

Not an expert, but just from personal experience - I have astigmatism in both eyes and use a regular off-the-shelf prescription mask. Obviously it doesn't correct my vision quite as well as my glasses do, but it doesn't make a big difference underwater.

I have almost purely astigmatism, so there are no off-the-shell masks available.
Thus I used to wear contact lenses, but Indon not like it.

Now I have custome made glassed glued to my original glassea of my mask. So I could exchange them.
They are produced by an optician, custom made to the shape of my mask. They also offer like progressive vision glasses or leave out some space so you have a field of view without correction - some prefer that for the computer.
Drawback: its quiet pricy...

So to cut this long story short: maybe you first want to find someone who can actually make your needed lenses and see if it can be fitted to the mask? I dont think you can get something out of the shelve?

Is it possible to use the single lense type mask if you have a prescription with for example, stigmatism in just one eye? Previously, I just had a basic prescription. But as I have aged I now have an astigmatism in my left eye so the doctor had to make quite a large change to that side. Or is it better to just stay with the two lense type? Also, thoughts on progressive lenses? Thanks
I have my progressive prescription in my SeaVision mask. It is not a single lense, however.

Prescription Dive Masks can put a script lens in a single window mask. Custom Prescription Dive Masks
They take the script, grind lenses, and bond them to the inside of the mask.
I've used them several times, and my only complaint is that when my mask returns, I wonder why the place that does my glasses can't get the script as correct!
They also sell many brands if you want to buy a new one instead of sending yours in.
I've also used Leonard Maggiore Opticians. They started making prescription masks in 1959 and are the original script dive mask maker. Leonard Maggiore Opticians | Providing Perfect Vision, Since 1936
Also great results.
Note that the cost of the lenses is going to be about the same as a pair of glasses. So if your lenses in your regular glasses cost 200 bucks, that's what the bonded ones will run more or less.
Plus the cost of the mask you have bought or buy. You need to send them your mask.
I can't speak to progressive lenses because I can't wear them on land. Bi-focal only (near and distance) with a separate single vision pair for working on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom