Singapore Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer:
If the OP's first option in the Shangri-la, it is unlikely he'll stay at a backpacker's.
I would recommend the Fullerton, Raffles the Plaza or the Grand Hyatt for sheer accessibility. Check out the deals at www.asiaroom.com or the usual hotel portals.

Perhaps its also useful if the OP can list the hotels he's considering so that we could offer our views.

While I might do a backpackers, my wife definitely will not. The travel agent recommended the PanPacific and the Orchard as alternatives. An acquaintance recommended the Swisshotel. Any thoughts on these?

reubencahn:
While I might do a backpackers, my wife definitely will not. The travel agent recommended the PanPacific and the Orchard as alternatives. An acquaintance recommended the Swisshotel. Any thoughts on these?
The Pan Pacific is a very good hotel but a little out of the way in Marina Square, south of the main shopping belt. The Orchard is of a slightly lower standard (still an excellent hotel) but is located right at the start of the main shoppping area of Orchard Road. The Swissotel is the tallest hotel in Singapore, at 72 storeys, highly-rated and in a great location at the southern end of the main shopping belt, right above a large shopping mall and an MRT station. That said, I am not sure it would be any cheaper than the Shangri-La!

Check out this website for some great hotel deals in Singapore:
http://www.asiarooms.com

Have a great time in Singapore!

Lily

the swissotel (Stamford) is a fair bit cheaper than the Shangri-la and still an extremely nice hotel. The Raffles that someone else mentioned is at least double the rates of teh Shang.

reubencahn:
We have two nights in Singapore on our way to Sipadan. We were looking at the Shangri-La as a place to stay but the price for a room that would accomodate 3 just got out of hand. Can anyone recommend a nice, fairly luxurious, but not ridiculously expensive hotel in the center of things?

Reuben,

We stayed at the Elizabeth Hotel the last time we passed through Singapore. Centrally located and our travel agent got us a great price.

http://www.theelizabeth.com.sg/

Rickg

another pretty cheap option right within the orchard belt; Holiday Inn Parkview.. shopping and eating all around the hotel. Ask for the pool view rooms if u do decide to go with this hotel.. Looking at all the posts here, u're pretty much spoilt for choice now.. enjoy our sunny little island :)

Swissotel has an added advantage besides the good sized rooms and spectacular city/bay views; it is right next to one of the best shopping centers in Singapore (Raffles City) and is connected to the subway and underground shopping complexes to Suntec City and Marina Square. Wife will have lots of fun exploring the joys of the Singapore Sale on right now.

Problem with the Elizabeth and the ParkView is that they are not as accessible and are at least 10 min to the subway. There is not much around these hotels either, but to put things in perspective, all of these hotels we're talking about are within a 5 km radius in the city area.

Have a good trip.... remember to check out the friendly nurse shark in Wisma Atria.

Traminer:
Swissotel has an added advantage besides the good sized rooms and spectacular city/bay views; it is right next to one of the best shopping centers in Singapore (Raffles City) and is connected to the subway and underground shopping complexes to Suntec City and Marina Square. Wife will have lots of fun exploring the joys of the Singapore Sale on right now.

Problem with the Elizabeth and the ParkView is that they are not as accessible and are at least 10 min to the subway. There is not much around these hotels either, but to put things in perspective, all of these hotels we're talking about are within a 5 km radius in the city area.

Have a good trip.... remember to check out the friendly nurse shark in Wisma Atria.

I was checking around online and found an incredible rate for a suite at the Regent (Four Seasons). It's essentially the same price as a regular room at the Swisshotel and much cheaper than the Shangri-La. Is it as nice as the one in Bangkok? How is the location?

reubencahn:
I was checking around online and found an incredible rate for a suite at the Regent (Four Seasons). It's essentially the same price as a regular room at the Swisshotel and much cheaper than the Shangri-La. Is it as nice as the one in Bangkok? How is the location?

Location-wise, the Swissotel is still much much better. As mentioned earlier, it is very conveniently located above a popular shopping mall (i.e. Raffles City) and connected to the other nearby malls (e.g. Suntec City, Marina Square) via an underground shopping belt. Shopping aside, there are also museums (e.g. Singapore Art Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum) and the very distinct Esplanade all within 10-15 min walking distance.

As for the Regent, it is tucked away in a quiet end of Orchard Road and is probably abt 15-20 min away from the nearest underground train station (i.e. Orchard Road station). There really is not much else in the vicinity of the hotel IMO. :shakehead

Hope this helps.

The Regent and the Four Seasons are two different hotels with the Four Seasons being better IMHO. I am not sure which one you were looking at but they are both in the same neighborhood. The Regent is a little better than the Swissotel...

but the Four Seasons is a VERY nice hotel (yes, a fair bit better than the Swissotel and Regent) and within a 10 minute taxi ride of the whole of Orchard Road. You ARE spoiled for choice here. Pretty luxurious and fairly convenient or extremely convenient and very nice or very nice, pretty convenient and less expensive or damn cheap, mostly clean, somewhat convenient and livable. Flip a coin.

Zippsy:
The Regent and the Four Seasons are two different hotels with the Four Seasons being better IMHO. I am not sure which one you were looking at but they are both in the same neighborhood. The Regent is a little better than the Swissotel...

but the Four Seasons is a VERY nice hotel (yes, a fair bit better than the Swissotel and Regent) and within a 10 minute taxi ride of the whole of Orchard Road.

I see now. The Four Seasons site takes you to the Regent but there's a separate Four Seasons which is pricier. So I think it's Swisshotel.

Any advice on what to do with only one day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom