Singapore Airport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were you, I'd just book a hotel room in downtown S'pore and not worry about it.
If you go to the airport in Portland and they let you check your bags all the way through to MDC great. If they don't it's still not a big deal. Either way you can zoom through immigrations and customs (bags or no bags) and be in downtown S'pore before 2 AM.

Coming from Portland it will be the equivalent of 11 AM for your body so you probably won't be too sleepy anyways. If you're into Southern Chinese/Malay food you could catch a late night/early morning snack at one of the 24 hour hawker centers for a true Singaporean experience (try Lau Pa Sat or Newton Circle - any cab driver can take you there) then back to your hotel for some zzz's before heading out to Changi in the morning for your Silk Air flight.

Taxi drivers in S'pore all accept credit cards so if you don't go to a hawker center you wouldn't even need to get any S'porean dollars.

By the way - Silk Air gives you the option to print your boarding pass at home 48 hours before departure - that might be enough time for you to print it out in Portland before you leave.

Most locals avoid Newton circus. The food there is grossly overpriced and there is a history of touting in that hawker center. Lao Pasat is ok, but I would recommend Makan Sutra (Glutton's Bay) for its location. It is right beside the esplanade. The night view there is pretty good. Food is decent and price alright. The good thing is all the prices are clearly displayed so you won't get cheated.

I have a similar question along these same lines...
I was hoping to check my bags all the way through, but I just called United and they said that because I do not have a "continuous" ticket I have to pick up my bags in Singapore and recheck. (I booked the United/Silk Air flights separately)

My question is... I want to stay at the transit hotel that night, can I recheck my bags that late at night with Silk Air? If not, then I will have to stay at the Crowne Plaza which is much more expensive.

I've done NRT-SIN-HKT with first leg UA, 2nd leg MI, booked through two different travel agents(First leg in Tokyo, 2nd leg through a Singapore agent and had ticket mailed).

I asked at the checkin counter at NRT whether I could check my luggage through. The person at the counter went away for a couple of minutes and came back with a grin, and checked me through. May be I was lucky, may be the system changed (the last time I did it was back in 1998!), but UA and SQ both being members of the Star Alliance, and MI being an SQ subsidiary, I'd expect through checkin to be possible. You might want to check with the person at the checkin counter, just to make sure.

Or, you could always contact Changi Airport. They should be able to indicate what options you may have regarding luggage check in / check through, and transiting through Singapore.

not trying to hijack the thread, but is it open all night?

Makansutra Gluttons Bay
8 Raffles Avenue #01-15 Singapore 039802
Mon – Thurs : 5pm – 2am
Fri & Sat : 5pm – 3am
Sun : 4pm – 1am

In case you have not already gone... the diving of sulawesi is SOO worth it.
Bunaken, Gangga, Banka, Lembeh. All amazing in their own way. If you are based in any one of those islands, do try and make sure you see another/the others

Cheers
Raf

Sorry I am an idiot, I meant to say that when I have a 9 hour layover, I get my bags, taxi into town and then stay at a hotel. its MUCH cheaper than a transit hotel and Changi is soooo fast a(se posts above) There are some good deals in Singapore to be had. Hotel 81 for instance is not expensive. Have fun. I'll be in doing all of this in October. so it's got to be worth it.

Raf

Should you decide to stay at the airport & like to taste some local food, the Kopi (coffee) food mall at Terminal 3 has many stalls, & try the strong local kopi at Killiney Kopitiam or Ya Kun Kaya Toast & of course you have to try some kaya toast... We have a Huge airport & lots of food there & at most places, the cost is the same as outside the airport... Browse by Terminal - Changi Airport

With only 9hrs, staying in the Transit hotel in the transit area might be a good choice. It's cheap, spacious and sold in 6hr blocks, with hourly extensions available up to 3hrs. Don't forget to make a reservation, because rooms are limited. Reservations can be made through the internet. Look up "transit hotel" in Changi's webpage.

Back
Top Bottom