Singapore Airport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeDr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Sulawasi, and have air miles for tickets as far as Singapore. So our baggage is only checked as far as Singapore, then, we need to go from Terminal 3 over to Terminal 2 to get onto Silk Air flight to Manado, Sulawasi.

Anyone experienced on how to do our checked baggage? The transit hotel inside the airport says to let our bags go to Lost and Found, go to the next terminal, check in with Silk Air, and they will find our bags and send them over. This sounds very risky to be sure our scuba gear gets on board with us.

The other option I can see is picking up our bags in Singapore, going through immigration, then re-entering the airport and the new terminal with our bags to checkin. There is probably a departure fee then.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Renee

I did the other option in Changi Airport Singapore, coming from Los Angeles going to Sri Lanka --going thru immigration, then re-entering the check-in terminal for your particular connecting airliine (i.e. you never have to leave the airport grounds proper). No departure fee was charged. On your immigration form, just note you are in transit, with the Country, Airline Flight number and time of departure written down (and Terminal if you know it). . . Make sure you have at least 3hrs between connecting flights, just in case there are any unforseen delays (i.g. Late arrival; impromptu/surprise rigid security screening & search; excess baggage charges; long check-in lines etc.). . .

In weighing whether to go through immigration or not, keep in mind that Changi immigration is about as efficient as it gets. So that aspect will be relatively painless.

If you are flying on Silk Air you should be able to check your bags all the way thru since Silk is owned by Singapore Air. I've done this 3 or 4 times a couple of times when using miles. When you check in have your silk air itinerary with you and let the Singapore Air attendant know that you wish to check your bag to the final destination. They have the info in their computers and it is very easy to do. Then make sure you bring what you need in your carry on so you don't need to go thru immigration. You can stay at the transit hotel in either terminal 2 or terminal 3 if you have long layover just make sure you make a reservation(online) before hand as the transit hotels do fill up.

I've actually checked in on United in Denver and had my bags checked all the way thru to MDC just ask it is VERY easy to do.

With my own significant experience going in and out of Changi, though never transiting there, I think Kevrumbo and Vladimir are spot on. It won't take much time to get your bag, get through immigration, take the short monorail line to the next terminal and check in there. No extra fees and not a lot of hassle or time.

edited to add that I just saw Chinacat's response. This surprises me a little but it's not shocking. If she CC says it's been done, I have no reason to doubt it.

With my own significant experience going in and out of Changi, though never transiting there, I think Kevrumbo and Vladimir are spot on. It won't take much time to get your bag, get through immigration, take the short monorail line to the next terminal and check in there. No extra fees and not a lot of hassle or time.

I third or fourth the opinion of going through the complete immigration and luggage line in S'pore.

I might have used Changi more than 10 times and each time I am amazed that from the aircraft door to the airport exit, including the luggage pick up, the whole process never ever exceeds 20 minutes.
I have now made fun from switching my timer on at the exit of the plane : my best record till now is 16 minutes.

Not for nothing that Changi is regularly polled as "World best airport" (Skytrax awards).

....and if you are in terminal 2 or, more likely 3, I bet those 16 minutes broke down like this:

11 minutes - walking to immigration
2 minutes - immigration queue and processing
1 minute - duty free shopping and checking out
1 minute - waiting for luggage
30 seconds - customs clearance
30 seconds - getting to the taxi queue

when I fly in or out, I train for a least a week ahead of time for the trek from gate to immigration. :p

One problem I see with going thru immigration instead of checking your bag all the way to MDC is if you come in late at night the silk air counter will be closed and you won't be able to recheck your bag until 3-4 hours before your flight. It's so easy to check it all the way thru why bother with the extra hassle of doing immigration and then finding out you can't recheck until the morning. You won't be able to bring your bags to the transit hotel since it's inside the terminal so then what are you going to do?

Thanks for all the advise. I am still undecided, because ChinaCat makes a very good point. We arrive at 1:15 AM, and don't depart on Silk Air for 9 hours. And we know we cannot check in until 3 1/2 hours before that flight departs.

ChinaCat, I checked with Continental, where we got the airmiles part of the ticket all the way to Singapore, and they say there is no way to connect the Singapore flight to Silk Air, because we got the ticket from Continental, and only flying on Singapore as a "partner" airline. Do you think it will still be possible when we check in at Portland, OR to show them the Silk Air flight info and have it work? We actually fly United, then Continental, then Silk Air.

I wouldn't mind going thru immigration if it wasn't for that very long layover and not being able to
re-check our luggage. The transit hotel tells me that we cannot come in there with our baggage, and we have to have our boarding passes in order to check in to the hotel too. Now that brings me to believe we cannot even use the transit hotel on this leg of the flight if we don't get our boarding passes ahead at the beginning leg of the flight, because the SilkAir counter probably won't be open in the wee AM hours of the morning to check us in.

I sure didn't know this was going to be such a hassle. Is diving in Sulawasi worth it?

Renee

I sure didn't know this was going to be such a hassle. Is diving in Sulawasi worth it?

Renee
Absolutely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom