Singapore Airport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use United all the time and it has never been a problem checking my bag all the way thru to MDC that being said I haven't used Continental I usually use Singapore Air between United and Silk Air so that may be a hiccup but I'm willing to bet it can be done. As for boarding passes when you arrive in Terminal 3 go to the Singapore Air counter(inside terminal 3) and talk with them about getting boarding passes for you Silk Air flight. If it is within 24 hours and it is in your case they can issue you a boarding pass. They issued me a boarding pass for my United flight from LAX to DEN on United when I returned from MDC over xmas. I was able to check my bag in Manado all the way to Denver even though Silk couldn't issue me a boarding pass on United since my flight was over 24 hours away when I left Manado. I did have to pick up my bag in LAX and clear customs but then I was able to just hand it over in the international terminal and they rechecked it and sent to correct terminal.

Don't know if you are going to Bunaken or Lembeh but Lembeh is worth it. Been to Lembeh 4 times and it is my favorite spot on the planet. Bunaken ain't bad either but Lembeh is AWESOME.

Just reread your post and you said you are traveling on Singapore Air as a partner. So United will definitely let you check all the way to MDC. Don't sweat it just bring your itinerary and it will definitely be in the computer system as well.

I wouldn't mind going thru immigration if it wasn't for that very long layover and not being able to
re-check our luggage. The transit hotel tells me that we cannot come in there with our baggage, and we have to have our boarding passes in order to check in to the hotel too. Now that brings me to believe we cannot even use the transit hotel on this leg of the flight if we don't get our boarding passes ahead at the beginning leg of the flight, because the SilkAir counter probably won't be open in the wee AM hours of the morning to check us in.
I had a similar dilemma in Guam once: a 6 hour layover and no transit hotel. I immigrated, took a cab to the Hilton, rented a room for the 4 hours or so that I had to spare, and had a shower, change of underwear (my luggage was checked through to Palau), room service, and a nap. Best $100 room ever (they gave me a discount for my short stay and past-midnight check-in--like one of the no-tell motels I used to frequent in my youth). You have ample time to clear immigration, take a cab to town, check into one of the many reasonably-priced hotels, and make it back in plenty of time for your SilkAir flight.

Wow, I cannot believe all of you who took the time to help us out. I have decided to try to get the bags checked all the way thru, and if that doesn't work, I will certainly be able to use your other suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Singapore is the gateway to lots of awesome diving! That transit hotel is great too for any amount of time. I've slept from 2 - 10 hours. Worth every cent

On my way to Lembeh last summer I had an overnight layover in Changi and connected with an early morning Silk Air flight to MDC. Unfortunately my bags were left in Singapore and I did not receive them until the following Thursday evening (we were leaving Saturday). So I am the worst case scenario horror story.

It was all good. I had carried on a little more than usual since I was traveling from Miami - extra toiletries, etc for the long flight. I also carried on my reg and dive computer.

Silk Air gave me approx $30 US to buy some clothes. They also covered all my rental gear for the week. I was able to borrow a few things from fellow travelers.

Bottom line, Chinacat is right. You should be fine. My friend checked her luggage from Chicago to MCD and everything made it no problem. Don't let it ruin your vacation - whatever happens.

And yes, diving in Indonesia IS worth it. Never in my life did I ever think I would say "oh ... just another giant frogfish."

Changi is the best airport in the world. On our way home we were delayed 11 hours due to a typhoon in Hong Kong. We shopped, watched a movie, got massages, manicures & pedicures ... it was time to catch our flight before we ran out of things to do.

Renee, Chinacat is right. Even though Continental cannot combine your flight records, there is no problem in getting your luggage interlined through Changi from Singapore Airlines onto Silk Air. When I go to Manado and transit at SIN, even when I have to overnight before the next morning's departure, I still check my bags through. You should only have to pick up bags and go through immigration etc., if you are flying on an airline that does not have baggage transfer agreements. Usually this happens with the budget carriers, so I wouldn't be able to check my bags in at Phuket with Air Asia and then get them to transfer them to Silk. Same with Tiger. But if I go on Thai or Singapore there's no problem. These are full service airlines that participate in baggage interlining services.

Like Chinacat, I travel extensively between Asia and North America (4 x a year at least), and I always interline my bags. In fact, while I do use the budget carriers for point to point travel here, I never use them if I'm transiting simply because of the baggage transfer hassles. You'll be okay, I'm sure of it.

Worst case scenario: try to check the bags through, and if you are unsuccessful, pick them up, pop them into left luggage in Terminal 2 for a few hours, go hang out or go for a swim in the public pool at the airport or get some sleep or whatever for your 9 hour layover and then pick the bags up when you re able to check in for your next flight.

I have a similar question along these same lines...

I arrive in Singapore at 11PM on United and head to MDC on Silk Air at 9AM the next morning. I was hoping to check my bags all the way through, but I just called United and they said that because I do not have a "continuous" ticket I have to pick up my bags in Singapore and recheck. (I booked the United/Silk Air flights separately)

My question is... I want to stay at the transit hotel that night, can I recheck my bags that late at night with Silk Air? If not, then I will have to stay at the Crowne Plaza which is much more expensive.

Thanks in advance for the advise!

I've booked the flights seperately and never had a problem checking my bag all the way thru. I've even used miles on part of the trip. Bring your itinerary and e-tix number for your silk air flight with you when you check in on United tell them you wish to check your bag all the way thru to MDC. If you need to ask to speak to the counter manager as some of the attendants are clue less but the counter manager will know how to do this. I live in Denver and fly United all the time. I've called them and they won't link the flights over the phone but the people at the airport will. Also make your reservation at the transit hotel before you go(at least 4 weeks in advance). You will probably arrive in terminal 3 but silk leaves out of terminal 2. So it's probably best to book transit hotel in terminal 2. If you don't have your boarding pass for Silk Air go to the Singapore Air counter in terminal 3 after you arrive and they will issue a boarding pass for your Silk Air flight. Then take the train to terminal 2. Ask at the information desk where the transit hotel is as it's not easy to find. Not hard either but they will point you right to it.

One last thing bring the credit card you booked the Silk Air flights with as sometimes they ask to see this.

If I were you, I'd just book a hotel room in downtown S'pore and not worry about it.
If you go to the airport in Portland and they let you check your bags all the way through to MDC great. If they don't it's still not a big deal. Either way you can zoom through immigrations and customs (bags or no bags) and be in downtown S'pore before 2 AM.

Coming from Portland it will be the equivalent of 11 AM for your body so you probably won't be too sleepy anyways. If you're into Southern Chinese/Malay food you could catch a late night/early morning snack at one of the 24 hour hawker centers for a true Singaporean experience (try Lau Pa Sat or Newton Circle - any cab driver can take you there) then back to your hotel for some zzz's before heading out to Changi in the morning for your Silk Air flight.

Taxi drivers in S'pore all accept credit cards so if you don't go to a hawker center you wouldn't even need to get any S'porean dollars.

By the way - Silk Air gives you the option to print your boarding pass at home 48 hours before departure - that might be enough time for you to print it out in Portland before you leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom