Sin City Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Sharks

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm flying to Las Vegas in the next couple of months and was thinking about diving Lake Mead. My question is, has anyone dove Lake Mead? Can you recommend any dive operators? What sort of thermal protection will I need? It'll be May or June when I'm there and the temp. will be in the 100's. Thanks in advance for any help you friendly folks can give a fellow diver.

Go Sharks

Originally posted by Go Sharks
Can you recommend any dive operators? What sort of thermal protection will I need?

Cannot recommend any dive operators, as I have not done any boat diving in Lake Mead.

The water has been really low recently, so if you're staying at 30 ft. or so, you could probably get away with just a bathing suit. However, if you'll be going below about 40-50ft, you'll hit the thermocline and find yourself in 52-55 F water. I'd recommend you bring or rent a shorty if you're going to be doing repetitive dives. I'm using a 6.5mm two-piece's jacket with no difficulties.

We have all manner of interesting dive sites, including submerged buildings dating from before Lake Mead, the second largest man-made lake, was constructed. It seems that some of the area's early historical sites are underwater.

TIP: Rent your air from International Divers [They're in the book] $3 for a tank rental and fill!!!! Everyone else wants at least $6

Nitrox prices are presently best at B.C. Divers.

Also, if you want to join NUDA, the Naked Underwater Divers of America, contact Stephen Castle at AAI Neptune Divers in N. Las Vegas:
http://www.nevada-scuba.com/nuda.html

Back
Top Bottom