Simplicity at First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDaddyDale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Bubblers;

I am setting up my rig and would like to wait to add a dive computer until I can get the one I specifically want ($$).
That said, I see the DIR divers here use an SPG on their left side, a compass on their L wrist and a depth gauge on the R wrist.

Is there a specific advantage to this piece by piece method instead of a 3 gauge console?

Thank you all...

The thing to remember about DIR is that procedures and equipment are designed to scale all the way up to bigger dives, without having to change things around. Variations which might not be important in single tank "pretty fishes" dives could cause problems in dives with scooters, multiple stages, and overhead environments. Basically, though, your left hand has your light on it and controls your buoyancy, while your right hand's most important task is to be free to present a working reg to an OOA teammate, and to control your scooter. You don't want to be waving your light around every time you need to retrieve your console to check you depth, and you want to be able to see your depth while your left hand is busy dumping gas or manipulating stages. It's a system that all works together. As much as I like diving sidemount in the caves, I still regret having to deviate from that system to some degree in order to do so.

The big advantage to putting your gauges on your wrists is that you can see them all the time. The depth gauge is put on the right wrist, because the left hand is used for the inflator and the dump valves, so you can watch your depth while you adjust your buoyancy. It is harder to do this with a console, because it has to be pulled or clipped up somewhere where you can see it.

The disadvantages are that it's more possible to forget stuff, and you have to be very careful to make sure the compass is in front of you when you use it.

And for night and virtual night dives, being able to shine the light on your left hand onto the gauge on your right wrist makes things very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks everyone. Even after all this good advice it is still not an easy decision but the Console the LDS wants to sell me is great, nitrox capable and comes in wrist mount. I would add a wrist mount (bungee) compass and a oil & gas SPG.

My entire set up excluding tank is running me about $1,100.00. Not bad at all for quality gear and I buy from my LDS which solidifies a good relationship for service and instruction.

My secret scuba bank reserve will be significantly smaller tomorrow :)

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

I need a very easy to read wrist mount compass. Suggestions?

I got tired of dragging a console around, so I went bungee-wrist mounted.

I have my SPG clipped off on my left hip. My computer is on the right wrist, where is it visible most of the time. My compass is on the left wrist, unless I have a slate there, in which case I put it on a low profile retractor. Anyways, having it on your arms is really great when one is on the move; swim with your arms locked in front of you and everything is right there...your heading, depth, other computer functions, etc. All you have to do is remember to look at your pressure gauge every now and again. :D

The only downside I've encountered thus far has been that on the surface doffing/donning one's BC is difficult with the stuff on the wrists...the BC straps get caught up on the computer EVERY time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom