Similians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisaR

New
Reaction score
My friend and I are researching a trip to the Similans at the end of April and I wondered if anyone has been and can suggest a good dive company. It looks like you have to leave from Phuket for the trip?

Thanks!
Lisa

keralucu and I just got back from the Similans a couple of weeks ago. We went with "Jonathan Cruiser", from Get Wet shop in Phuket. You can check out previous posts about this, or send me or Keralucu a PM for more details.

The boat is a restored/refitted vessel, two lower decks and extremely large sun deck. The sleeping quarters are on the same level as the dive platform and extremely airy - this is important to me, as I can suffer from claustrophobia and seasickness if trapped in stuffy air. Fed five times a day...stuffed to the gills. The crew and divemaster were extremely professional, helpful and friendly. We had an absolutely marvellous trip, and I highly recommend them.

Hi,

I dived with Ocean Divers (http://www.oceandiversphuket.com/live.htm) 3 years ago. They are quite good, the boat Vilai Samut is comfortable and spacious.

Yom, the DM is great.

Have fun. May the Mantas and Whale Sharks of Similan be with you!

liang

Check out my website for lots of photos of the boat and our recent trip (click on the www button at the bottom of my post). I have a link to the Jonathan Cruiser website which will give you more details on the boat, check out the guest book to see what I wrote on our return.

If you need any help with anything Thai-related, feel free to send me an email.

Happy liveaboard hunting!

Picking a liveaboard in Phuket is like playing the kids party game "Pin the tail on the donkey". I'd say there are really no bad boats, but there is a wide range of prices, comfort, cabins, length of trip, boat size, availability of special services (nitrox for example)....

Beware the word "luxury". This rarely applies to a liveaboard. There are only a couple operating from Phuket that can truly live up to that description. Otherwise, you need to decide on factors such as :

Price : anything from $400 to $1000 for 4 days
Cabins : 4 bed, 3 bed, twin bunk, double bed?
Bathrooms : private, semi private, shared (some boats have just a couple of bathrooms for 20 people)
Size : boats from 17m to well over 30m in length. Big boats are normally more comfortable.
No. of divers : anything from 6 to 26. Also check on how many divemasters are on board.

The thing is, the diving is great, so you will have a great time on just about any boat, but just be sure you know what to expect before you depart. You may think you're getting a double bed cabin and end up in a bunk room with 4 people.

I wish you happy travels,

Phuket Liveaboards

With a good live aboard boat, double canbin, air-con

The price includes everything except national park fee (200 bht/day)

This is a very good price.
If you are interested, please contact me at divingbook@hotmail.com

I'll send you more information

Anybody been on Scubacat. I like the way you can transfer every other day, sort of fits my timetable better.

Hey Sunrise, what are your 2 luxury boats? All my previous liveaboard have been to Red Sea. I allways end up sleeping on deck so the standard of cabin makes little difference. Is it warm enough in the evening to do this in Dec/Jan in the similans or should I take a sweatshirt or something

Divingbook, when are you departing, if its 30th Dec I might be interested anything else is no good.

Neil

More importantly - what is the water temp around this time of year?

9 days and counting.....

Hi neilstewart - I went on Scubacat last year, and yes their concept is very nice as you can transfer to and from the boat whenever you want. The boat is big, simple but comfortable (it probably helped that there were on 6 guests!). A greatthing is that cabins have huge windows; a bad one is that there are only 3 showers I think...
Diving is well organized and professional divemasters are on board; they offer 5 dives a day. But note they only cruise the Similans; you will miss Richelieu and Surin...
The only complaint I would have was that the food was not great... But maybe the cook has changed !
Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom