Similan Islands worth the travel time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcac27

New
Reaction score
Hello all,
My soon to be wife and I are planning our Honeymoon to Thailand for the end of November into December for 2 weeks and I've got some questions for those of you that've been there and done that. She's not a diver and I'm what I would call an intermediate. I've logged about 50 dives, mostly in Fort Lauderdale where my parents live and upstate NY where I live on Lake George. We're planning on either a 1 or 2 night live aboard to the similans (Oktavia or Manta Queen 3) then spending about 5 nights in the Andaman sea between Phi Phi and one of the more remote southern islands like Koh Muk. The other option is to eliminate the Similans and do my diving south in say maybe Ko Rok, and Hin Muang Hin Daeng or other nearby sites. It just seems like with such a short amount of time the Similans add quite a bit of travel.
Ive read quite a bit about how great the Similans are and that nothing else in Thailand compares. I've also read reports that theres not much to see there and that its declined dramatically. Theres also some sites Ive found that say the sites in the south rival the Similan sites and are possibly better. Anyone with any first hand experience want to help with some guidance?

I thank you in advance for your time and help!

Last edited:
Hi jcac. First of all, Oktavia doesn't do one-night trips, though MQ3 does. Next, if you want the best of Thailand, you won't want one of those 1-2 night boats anyway since they don't go to Richelieu Rock. In your specific situation, I'd recommend a speedboat daytrip to Richelieu on one day and another top dive site such as Elephant Head Rock on another, with your honey staying on land for a massage and some beach time.

Next, it's not Khao Lak that adds travel time. It's getting a ferry to a place like Koh Muk that's time consuming. Getting to Khao Lak (where the boats to the Similans leave from) only takes a couple of hours by road from Phuket airport, but getting to even Phi Phi can require at least half a day between taxi transfers plus a couple of hours dedicated to a ferry transfer and some waiting around. Going further takes longer yet.

But I get what you're saying--you need to set your priorities. If diving is a priority for you, then yes, the Similans is worth it. If you're not such an avid diver and you really want to spend every possible minute with your new spouse, then no, it's not worth it.

I agree with Quero, You would not really want a quick 2 day 1 night trip, the boats are crowded, people changing all the time, not really relaxing. Also you wont get to Richelieu which is really the highlight of a North trip.
Try a slightly longer trip to see more with a boat that doesnt change people every day, or do a southern trip instead.

If you are staying in Khao Lak then the speedboat trip to Richelieu is a great option, then you and your wife could do a speedboat daytrip to Similan, great beaches and islands above and below the water.

For the South eliminate the ferry travel by going on a liveaboard, do a 3 day night trip and get to Hin Daeng and Muang, the Richelieu of the South. Less crowded and great dives, Koh Haa is very nice diving and snorkeling as is Phi Phi, often the boats allow you some time on the island in the evening to see it.

If not then you can do an overnight trip to Phi Phi, much less travel time than to Similan, if you are staying in the Phuket area.

Enjoy your honeymoon whatever decision you make.

Thank you very much for your responses. I guess the point is I'm trying to combine the best of diving and most picturesque islands. Im also trying not to break the bank so we figured we'd head south of Phi Phi to one of the remote, less expensive islands. I realize Phi Phi is a tourist trap, but the pictures look stunning and we like to have a few drinks and it would only be for 2 days so we're not worried about the mobs of tourists. Diving is important to me, but I cant spend more than a day or two doing so or she'll start to get antsy so a longer live aboard is out. She likes to snorkel so thats another reason we were looking at the southern islands as I read the snorkeling off the beach is good. Hmmmm what to do...

Richelieu is the main reason you would go.

Similans themselves the marine life is not that great but the landscape and structure is pretty amazing.

Similans .... landscape and structure is pretty amazing.
That's what I tell people. I've dived all over the world in some pretty special places, and among them I count the boulder sites in the Similans. Stunning underwater topography.

If your wife doesn't dive then I wouldn't recommend going to Richellieu, unless she enjoys just being on a boat there's nothing else there to do or see; it's just an unremarkable rock barely poking out of the sea from the topside. Very different down bellow though!.
The same for Hin Daeng and Him Muang.
On the other hand the Similan islands are absolutely lovely, and well worth visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom