Similan Islands Liveaboards in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nos583

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I want to plan a dive trip for the Similan Islands in mid-October but a lot of the dive shops we found online don't have live aboards scheduled for that period. We're looking for a mid-priced live aboard for 3 or 4 days. Can anyone recommend any for that time period? Thanks!

Nos583, the problem that you are having is that the Similan Islands National Park only opens to the public on November 1st. Any operator that takes customers before that date is doing so illegally. Is there no way you can delay your arrival for a couple of weeks?

There are options, albeit limited. Officially the national park is still closed in mid October, but the national park does allow the first trips to already go out that time of year. Trips on offer are mainly on the backpacker style boats.

Thanks for the responses! Good thing our dates are flexible, I guess we'll try to shoot for either end of Nov or end of Dec. Is there anything in particular we should know about diving that time of year?

Diving those times of year is very much comparable.

I would suggest coming the end of December, That used to be the busiest time of year for diving, but the last few years that has changed, so I would also for next (upcoming) season expect that it won't be overly busy then.
November by comparison has been quite busy lately.

Thanks for the responses! Good thing our dates are flexible, I guess we'll try to shoot for either end of Nov or end of Dec. Is there anything in particular we should know about diving that time of year?
Just that the nearer the holidays it gets, the greater the likelihood that boats will be filling up. So if you want a liveaboard at that time of the season, it's best to think ahead and weigh your options so that you get the boat that will best meet your needs and wishes! We did have some special offers last year right at the end of the year, but this coming season, if Europeans start traveling further afield again, as North Americans did last season, things could be busy during the typically long European year-end break.

I was working for a Liveaboard in the Similans this past season (2010/2011....... we had some great Manta Ray sightings around Richelieu Rock in December 2010. send me a private message. happy to help with tips/advice on Similan islands.

Anthony

Hey Nos583 + Girlfriend :)

As you have already discovered many Liveaboard itineraries don't seem to list October in their schedules.

The reason for this Nos583, is that the Similan National Marine Park is closed from May to mid/late October due to the monsoon when the prevailing winds blow from the South-West....

However, it's not all bad news and it certainly isn't illegal (as somebody mentioned) for Liveaboard Operators to take customers out to the Similan Islands before the 1st November! If this were true, then the PADI 5 Star Dive Centres of Khao Lak would not be running liveaboard trips out there - would they?!

I know of at least three highly reputable Khao Lak Liveaboard Operators who have 4 days/4 nights trips departing on the 15/10/11 and the 18/10/11.

So if you want to go in mid October with your girlfriend then it is of course possible :) However, if you want to have a greater choice of liveaboards to choose from, then by the first in November all the Liveaboard Operators out of Phuket and Khao Lak are offering departures.

Again, a good place to look might be www.scubadivingphuket who offer liveaboards for all budgets and tastes. A friend of mine just booked a trip for next season with 'em and was very happy with the level of service they received and the price....

However, it's not all bad news and it certainly isn't illegal (as somebody mentioned) for Liveaboard Operators to take customers out to the Similan Islands before the 1st November! If this were true, then the PADI 5 Star Dive Centres of Khao Lak would not be running liveaboard trips out there - would they?! I know of at least three highly reputable Khao Lak Liveaboard Operators who have 4 days/4 nights trips departing on the 15/10/11 and the 18/10/11.....
As a matter of fact, yes, it is illegal to take people into the park when it's closed for the season. There is a lot that goes on "under the table" when operators violate the park closure regulations. The fact that a dive center has paid PADI a hefty fee to sign up as a 5-star diving center does not guarantee that it follows the letter of the law.

Having said that, there are a few operators who do "get permission" (guess how?) to start trips in October. Sometimes those trips even go out, and at other times they are canceled for lack of minimum passenger numbers for the trip to be profitable. Sometimes (but less often) weather concerns come into play and cause cancellations.

For somebody who is traveling halfway around the world and wants to make fairly certain that their trip will go as planned, coming in October for a liveaboard trip introduces significant uncertainty. For backpackers and others who don't have fixed itineraries or tight travel dates, it's less problematic.

Believe me, I am in the business of selling these trips, and I definitely want to make sure my customers are not disappointed so that they will come back to me in the future and tell their friends, too. If I believed that selling trips to the Similans in October was likely to produce satisfied customers, I would definitely not be discouraging people from buying these trips! However, I value my professional integrity, and I feel it's important to be honest. My honest advice is that unless there's no alternative, don't plan on coming for a liveaboard trip to the Similans in October. There's a fair chance you'll be disappointed in one way or another. If there's no other option, let's try, and we'll cross our fingers for good luck!

Last edited:
There is a lot that goes on "under the table" when operators violate the park closure regulations. The fact that a dive center has paid PADI a hefty fee to sign up as a 5-star diving center does not guarantee that it follows the letter of the law.

Having said that, there are a few operators who do "get permission" (guess how?) to start trips in October.

:shocked: What?? In Thailand!! Surely not. what ever are you suggesting???

Back
Top Bottom