Similan Islands Liveaboard Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just curious as I've never done a liveaboard (yet)... but has anyone ever had a BAD experience on one? For example, being stuck on the boat with a bunch of annoying yobs or something like that?

hi missdoo,

mv jazz has nice large bow cabins with ensuite. the whole cabin is a large double bed. mv jazz does 4 days similan trips and 6 day mergui archipelago (burma) trips which includes dives at koh tachai, koh bon and the boonsong wreck on the last day

Hi BabyFugu - I have done many many trips, never had a bad group - I mean, aren't all divers lovely people? :wink: I mean you might want to check if you book that it won't be you + 15 members of the Vladivistok Drinking & Diving Club, but in general I find almost all the time that on a liveaboard you get a nice mix of people. Some cater more to couples, some more to singles - the cabins are normally a clue - lots of double beds means couples. Some boats cater more to particular nationalities, most you get a melting pot of world civilisation. Best way to dive!

OK guys, thanks for your advice. I spent all day yesterday and this morning looking at photos, prices and departure dates and I've come up with a shortlist. It looks to me like the Black Manta is the one with the most votes from you but the departure date is slightly tricky for us, although we could make it if that's by far the best option. The Junk is out of budget so can't do it. What do you think is the nicest : Nautica, Dive Race, Oktavia or Queen Scuba?? Any help will be really appreciated cause I'm VERY confused at the moment!!!!! Looking for nice cabin and nice outside areas for chilling, eating etc. Of course crew, food etc all matter so I'm seriously confused and hope to get some info from people who've had first hand experience. Is there a review site anywhere maybe? Or should we just go for the Black Manta and alter our dates?

hey missdoo,

check out the mv pawara. a very nice boat at a good price. one of the largest boats in the similans, large shaded dining and chill out area, a great indoor lounge with loads of entertainment, huge sun deck, etc. well worth a look before your decide.

just one thing, the official website is very misleading, with out of date information. reason being the boat has been run by big blue since nov 2009 and not the actual boat owners.

ITSCUBA, Pawara does look very nice, especially the master cabin, it's now in my shortlist!!

A question for the BLACK MANTA VETERANS: do the cabins have any windows? Even the master cabin looks awfully dark with a tiny porthole in the photos. Is that the case??? Cause that will make my decision for me. I definitely want light. Spent too much time on dark cruise ship cabins with small portholes!!!!

Hi MissDoo... Black Manta: the Master cabin is on the lower deck, no windows. There are some cabins on the main deck - 2 double and 2 twin deluxe plus standard. The deluxe on main deck have a double bed with an upper bunk.

Pawara also nice - Master cabins front of main deck are best. Dive Race is lower budget, smaller boat, master cabins are nice, sure. Queen Scuba - Master cabin is great but a step up in price from a deluxe on Black Manta or Master on Pawara. BUT I can assure you - they are all good boats.

A non-smoking liveaboard would be an added benefit, if you are a non-smoker. As a non-smoker, I would be pretty unhappy smelling smoke in cabins and other rooms for a long duration trip. On the other hand, if you are a smoker, your requirements would be the opposition. That might be something to consider.

Batfish, thank you so much!!! You really helped there with your info!!! I really want to have light in the cabin so the Black Manta master cabin is definitely out. I do love the Queen Scuba one but like you said, it is a lot more expensive. So that leaves me with Pawara I guess, or maybe Oktavia? Any comments on Oktavia? Funrecdiver we are both non smokers but it didn't cross my mind that people would be smokling everywhere on the boats. Is that the case? Should we avoid certain boats?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom