Similan Islands Liveaboard Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My partner and I are looking to go on 4 or 6 day Similan island liveaboard in January. We are in our early 40s and would like to have a relatively nice cabin with a double bed as opposed to sharing bunks. I think they mostly go out of Phuket, don't they? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Hi Miss Doo,

There is a great variety of liveaboard trips that can take you diving in the stunning Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock area.

January should offer excellent conditons and visibility.

Most boats leave from Khao Lak (1.5 hours north of Phuket) but some like The Junk and MV Mermaid II depart from Phuket - transfers to the piers are normally included.

I like MV Queen Scuba's huge master cabin with sea views, TV DVD and mini bar.

Have a look at the videos of these boats on our website to give you a better idea of whats on offer.

Good luck with your plans.

Many options that would suit your needs. Colona, Queen Scuba, Jazz, Black Manta, Nautica, Diverace, Divemaster, they all have cabins that would suit your needs. And there are even more options. It really depends on your other requirements as well. Would you like Nitrox for example, would you prefer a big boat or more intimite, how important are bathrooms en-suite for you, you mention 4 to 6 days, which would you prefer, the atmosphere/ambiance on the boat etc. etc.

Some boats leave from Tab Lamu, others from Phuket. If departure from Tab Lamu, a transfer from Phuket by minibus (about 1,5 hours from Patong area) is always included.

On the Spot, thanks for your reply, I will have a look around your site. Steven, thank you also. I will try to narrow it down a bit more just in case it will help eleiminate some boats. We definitely want en suite, we'd rather do 6 days than 4, ambieternce would be lovely and opportunities to sit on deck and enjoy the sun or a drink (in the evening, after the dives!!). And price-wise, I guess we'll be looking for the best value for money for a nice boat, we don't want to go to the cheapest one obviously as they won't meet our requirements but we also haven't got an unlimited budget. Hope that helps pinpoint fewer boats perhaps?

I'm a big fan of the Black Manta, great boat, great crew. Been on four LBs on her, loved every minute. Just my 2 cents.

A second for the Accurist pick! I have been on the BM twice with small groups I organized and we all enjoyed it very much. If Chris, On and Owen are board even better!

Have a look at The Junk, she makes six night trips (visiting Surin Islands too) and provides a truely unique and memorable liveaboard experience. This boat is absolutely stunning.

She has private double en-suite cabins and plenty of comfortable on-deck relaxation space.

There is also a great "early bird" offer of 15% discount if you book and pay two months before departure.

To give you a better idea of the unique qualities of The Junk, have a look at our video here.

For a longer trip there are a few attractive options:
the master cabin on Oktavia would suit your needs, and they offer 5 days/5 nights trips. Colona has 6 days trips, The Junk has 5 days trips plus an option to get 15% discount, and Nautica offers also 6 days trips to Similans, and has a 20% early bird discount on the 6 days trips in January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom