Silly question: ZipSeal replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
After trying the ZipSeal at the Dog days, I am considering to get it when I get the suit. I am told that the replacement of the ZipSeal is around $138. However, I am wondering if there is anyone who has tried to replace the latex on the existed ZipSeal. Is it possible to replace only latex by yourself? It might be silly question though.

Thanks in advance,

Reposted, I missed the question on the first read.

I don't know about replacing the seal on a zip seal itself but I don't think I would.

I looked at the zip seals as well but went with si-tek rings instead. They are a lot cheaper and they are really easy to use.

Just slip out the spanner ring slip on the new seal and re-insert into the sleve. It costs about 15 or 20 dollars for a pair of seals this way.

I have never blown a seal. But I only have about 80 dives on the seals so far so it will probably happen some time.

If you want to use the dry gloves replacable seals are great but other than that I wouldn't go with the replacable seals again.

I have the ZIP seals and love them. I have made inquiries through suit repair techs and have been told that it is not possible to make a good replacement of the seal onto the ring--DUI forms them as a unit.

They are expensive (relatively) to replace, but you are paying for the convenience of on-site instant repairs and the insurance of never missing a dive due to a suddenly ripped seal.

theskull

Thanks for your info. about this matter. I am just curious because we have a lot of DIY (handy) members this board.

theskull:
I have the ZIP seals and love them. I have made inquiries through suit repair techs and have been told that it is not possible to make a good replacement of the seal onto the ring--DUI forms them as a unit.

They are expensive (relatively) to replace, but you are paying for the convenience of on-site instant repairs and the insurance of never missing a dive due to a suddenly ripped seal.

theskull

It is the new info (si-tek rings). I will check it out. Are you still in S. Korea? If then, how do you deal with the warranty service issue over there?

trevinkorea:
Reposted, I missed the question on the first read.

I don't know about replacing the seal on a zip seal itself but I don't think I would.

I looked at the zip seals as well but went with si-tek rings instead. They are a lot cheaper and they are really easy to use.

Just slip out the spanner ring slip on the new seal and re-insert into the sleve. It costs about 15 or 20 dollars for a pair of seals this way.

I have never blown a seal. But I only have about 80 dives on the seals so far so it will probably happen some time.

If you want to use the dry gloves replacable seals are great but other than that I wouldn't go with the replacable seals again.

hoosier:
Thanks for your info. about this matter. I am just curious because we have a lot of DIY (handy) members this board.

It is the new info (si-tek rings). I will check it out. Are you still in S. Korea? If then, how do you deal with the warranty service issue over there?
With most products, you don't get warranty service here unless you bought it here in korea. I bought my dive computer in singapore and therefore it cost me $100 to get the battery changed. I understand protecting your local market but jeez...they don't even make computers here.

Back
Top Bottom