Silicone seal questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dove the Fusion Bullet last Sunday at the Whites demo day in Monterey. Love the suit and the Bullet skin, the suits had the SI Tech quick neck seal changing system with silicone neck an wrist seals, I got to see them change out a seal.:cool2: (only because the silicone seal was to big on the diver, switched to latex)
After doning the suit my neck seal was tight but only simular to a new latex seal. My neck size is 17.5 in. so I'm not in the Hulk size. After 20 mins under, my neck started to burn and at the end of the dive I had the hung red ring look going. Thank GOD that dissappered the next day. The wrist seals, like heaven, hardly even felt them.

So my questions are;
1.)Will the silcone seal stretch over time or should one pre-stretch like latex?
2.)Has anyone used a lubricant prior to diving?
and C.)Trimming is an option, has anyone actually had to trim one?

:idk: Please Help!

Last edited:
I can't tell you how sad I am to hear this- I have the same issue with the stock latex seal and was hoping that a change to silicone would eliminate the neck rash I get. I have used seal saver, and used a water based lube last trip but saw no appreciable difference- I look like I escaped a hanging after 3 dives and it takes a week for the abrasion to go away completely. I have trimmed the latex seal, and it does not feel overly tight (I don't turn blue in the face).

A dive buddy has/had the same problem and "lessened" it by making sure the neck seal was pulled down about an inch lower on her neck. I think it allowed her to move her head without pulling on the seal and thus the skin on her neck. Just a thought.

She also mentioned that it is much worse in salt water than in fresh. So if you dive salt water, maybe generous rinsing of both neck and seal soon after surfacing might help?

DUI recommends Udder Cream as a preventive measure.

Henrik

The udder cream that HenrikBP mentioned is called Bag Balm. I use a local equivalent because Bag Balm isn't available locally and I can verify that it works wonders. It totally eliminated the burning sensation underwater, lessened the red ring after the dive and made the little redness that I did have disappear after half a day. It won't get rid of the ring totally but it will make a big difference. Or at least it did for me. I used the cream both before and after the dive. There shouldn't be anything in there that deteriorates latex either but if you use a silicone seal that won't be a consideration.

I am also disappointed to hear that you got the Red Ring of Dhoom with a silicone seal because that is what I was ultimately banking on to eliminate the ring entirely when I could afford one. :depressed:

Don't take this as my situation being common problem. Talking to the White's people I was in the minority. They said that I could trim the seal and that would sovle the problem. Well, yes but... I'm asking the forum what experiences they have had with silicone seals in general. Like I said, the wrist seals sealed great and I never even felt them. The neck was tight being at the point where I could tolerate it for one dive and a little high with it rolling over a 1/4" when I first doned it. I pulled it down lower which help and of course I couldn't trim it, being a demo...

To answer your specific questions:

1- Yes, the silicon will stretch a little, just like latex. At the same time, it has trimmable rings just like a latex one to get a perfect fit. Just because it is silicon, doesn't mean you don't have to trim it :wink:

2- Yes, use a silicon lubricant to condition the seal. It never hurts :wink:

3- YES, it is most likely your option since you got the "red neck " YEEEE HAW

The neck has to be thicker than the wrists. This is why it took so long to be available. They wanted it as thin and flexible as the wrists, but they kept breaking. So, even though it is a one size fits all, you still may need to trim it to fit, depending on your neck size. AS the biggest supplier of these, and installer of the systems (we even help manufacturers figure out what they do wrong with these), this is 100% a great seal, and many do have to trim them. It works great!!!

Well, I got the system in February, and I did not get the one-size-fits-all memo. This is the first I have heard about it.

I assumed I would have to trim it down like any other seal. I carefully cut a little off, put it on for a while and sat around to see how I would feel in time. I felt like I was choking. I cut off some more and repeated the process. Then I did it again. Finally I reached the point that the seal was only mildly uncomfortable while sitting around the living room typing on a computer.

For some reason, mildly uncomfortable in the living room translated to totally comfortable--as in I could barely feel it--when I went diving. It scared me that I had cut off too much. It still scares me that I cut off too much, but I have logged a number of dives, and challenging dives at that, without a leak so far.

The seals are so easy to get flat that I still get nervous every time--I can't believe it is that easy, and I keep working at it beyond the need.

For me the only problem is the neck seal system itself, and the two reasons for that may be unique to me. First of all, I have a very large head. It barely fits over my head when I put it on and off, and It scrapes my forehead a bit.

The second problem lies in what I assume is the old and obsolete design of my zippers. (I have a very old suit.) Unlike every other Fusion I have seen, the upper and lower zippers go in opposite directions. That is a problem because after I have pulled the bottom zipper snug, I have to pull the upper zipper over the top of it, and this can dislodge it slightly. (It only takes a tiny gap to flood the suit, and I can assure you of that.) I used to push hard against the closed lower zipper with a finger of my left hand while I pulled the upper zipper over with my right, but with the neck ring in place now, I can't get my two hands in that position, and I now require help for that part of the zipping process.

My summary is that the silicone zippers are very comfortable. Since I assume they won't get all gooey on me in a couple of months, I am quite content.

That is not what I wanted to hear about the silicon still providing access to the "Hang Mans Club". I just installed the Ni-Tech neck ring and am using latex for the moment.

Jwin, did you walk around in the suit with the neck removed but the arms on? Goes for anyone else too. Did the suit flop back or did it constantly bonk you on the head? This could be a big issue for me since I often drive the boat with my suit on, but not the neck.

Did the suit flop back or did it constantly bonk you on the head? This could be a big issue for me since I often drive the boat with my suit on, but not the neck.

One of the reviews at DRIS said in part:

"...when you're donning the suit or walking around with the top unzipped and flipped back over your head this solid ring doesn't exactly allow the top part of the suit to fall backwards as easily as without it in there so it has a tendency to sit straight up behind you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom