Silicone or latex for pronounced wrist tendons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know several people who have switched over to the bottle seals BC they leak less. Esp. cave diving in N FL, one is using their hands quite a bit, and those tendons WILL come out. The bottle seal gives a larger surface area to seal so I guess it just "wraps" better or something.

On another note, after I got some sleep, it occurred to me that I missed the bigger issue in the OP. I would be a bit concerned about support from a manufacturer when you are trying to BUY a suit from them, and this what is happening: "I have been trying to make contact with Whites for some weeks but they don't answer."

Thanks again for the replies.

Katepnati, interesting, DRIS said the opposite. I'll look into what shape is offered, so for you the bottle shaped seals work better?

Budds,

The Silicone seals seal much better. They have a lot longer sealing surface area. Because they are so stretchy, they are tighter, without you knowing it. This gives the seal typically a 2" sealing surface where latex is 1/2 or less.

Cone seals have the least amount of sealing surface area by design. A cone gets bigger...so, when you trim the seals to fit, they are perfect. If they stretch a little, they are too big. If you take off too many rings, they are too big. There is a fine line when cutting them, and making sure you don't take too much off because they get bigger, and not too gradually. These seals are 1 size fits all...you trim them to fit.

Bottle seals, are sized to fit. Typically, you don't have to trim them at all, if you get the right size. They very gradually get bigger, so you have a larger sealing surface area vs. cone.

Not sure who told you otherwise, let me know and I will correct them :wink:

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 06:34 AM ----------

I would be a bit concerned about support from a manufacturer when you are trying to BUY a suit from them, and this what is happening:"I have been trying to make contact with Whites for some weeks but they don't answer."

Why? A manufacturer makes the suits....a DEALER services the customer. I would have zero issues buying from Whites if I was a customer, they are selling the most suits of any manufacturer right now, have a great reputation, make a killer suit at a great price, and have a great dealer support network. If you really want to get in touch with them, Call Ryan at 866-652-8556 or email him direct at raraujo@aqualung.com Remember, they just had their Thanksgiving, and probably were catching up on emails with getting back. If you have any questions, we or any dealer should be able to answer them for you. That is what we are here for :wink:

Budds,

The Silicone seals seal much better. They have a lot longer sealing surface area. Because they are so stretchy, they are tighter, without you knowing it. This gives the seal typically a 2" sealing surface where latex is 1/2 or less.

Cone seals have the least amount of sealing surface area by design. A cone gets bigger...so, when you trim the seals to fit, they are perfect. If they stretch a little, they are too big. If you take off too many rings, they are too big. There is a fine line when cutting them, and making sure you don't take too much off because they get bigger, and not too gradually. These seals are 1 size fits all...you trim them to fit.

Bottle seals, are sized to fit. Typically, you don't have to trim them at all, if you get the right size. They very gradually get bigger, so you have a larger sealing surface area vs. cone.

Not sure who told you otherwise, let me know and I will correct them :wink:

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 06:34 AM ----------

Why? A manufacturer makes the suits....a DEALER services the customer. I would have zero issues buying from Whites if I was a customer, they are selling the most suits of any manufacturer right now, have a great reputation, make a killer suit at a great price, and have a great dealer support network. If you really want to get in touch with them, Call Ryan at 866-652-8556 or email him direct at raraujo@aqualung.com Remember, they just had their Thanksgiving, and probably were catching up on emails with getting back. If you have any questions, we or any dealer should be able to answer them for you. That is what we are here for :wink:

Yes, a dealer services the customer but if a company has a website with a contact form one would expect a reply at some point after numerous emails over several weeks using said contact form. All I can say is they are lucky you are one of their dealers or I might be looking to another manufacturer.

Randy said Latex was better in this case.

PM sent.

Yes, a dealer services the customer but if a company has a website with a contact form one would expect a reply at some point after numerous emails over several weeks using said contact form. All I can say is they are lucky you are one of their dealers or I might be looking to another manufacturer.

Randy said Latex was better in this case.

PM sent.

Randy got mixed up...just talked to him and showed him why. Silicone is 99% the better choice for tendons....there is a small chance latex could be better, but overall, silicone for tendon issues as it has a bigger sealing surface and is stretchier to stay in the tendon, vs. bridging across it.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 02:49 PM ----------

Personally I use the SiTech Quick Glove system, TS & M uses the Viking bayonets and is very happy with them. <shrugs> Sniff around and look at other folk's stuff and decide.

I absolutely would NOT buy the gloves as a package deal with the rings. They are invariably heavily overpriced!

The definitive place to get the "glove part" for your dry gloves is Seattle Marine & Fishing Supply (also known as SeaMar). Their glove page is here, as you can see they are amazingly expensive :) at $3.96 for a pair of 660's.

The 660's (blue) are triple-dipped and are quite durable and cut resistant, but you lose some flexibility especially in really cold water. The 620's (orange) are only double-dipped, and more flexible, albeit with less durability...these are what I use, and they typically last me 3 seasons.

IIRC the Fusion can be ordered from the factory with dry glove rings installed, which is less hassle than aftermarket installs.

All the best, James

We don't charge much more than them... .and who wants to support fisherman anyway :D
Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Last edited:
Will any of the SeaMar gloves work for the pull-over dry glove system? The smallest DRIS sells is size 9, and whereas it works, I could stand to go down a size.

The Seamar gloves are not able to be used as pullover gloves. They need a system to work. We are getting in a latex gasket, that can be glued to the Seamar gloves, and would allow any of the sizes to be a pullover glove. I will go get a pic of some installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom