“Silicone Grease” for all o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to use this silicone grease to lube up my new manifold dynamic o rings (and apparently o should lightly line the threads too…):

Marine Sports Silicone Grease .25 oz
https://a.co/d/35UdWRp

However, I’m unclear if this is suitable for *all* non-oxygen rated o rings, including manifold o rings. Specifically, I want to know if it’s a true statement that pure silicone grease can be used for *all* non-static o rings that will be exposed to less than 40% oxygen. This includes regs, manifolds, tank valves, lights, and anything else that uses a dynamic o ring.

For further context, the answer to this question will also answer a secondary question I have, which is “are there any silicone o rings used in scuba” <- it sounds like the answer is no, therefore silicone grease can (and should) be used for o rings exposed to lower than 40% oxygen exposure.

Furthermore, if you noticed I referenced dynamic o rings. From my understanding static prongs should never have grease/lube applied to them; please correct me if I’m wrong here.

I know a lot of people say to just use oxygen lube, which I agree with, but that isn’t my question.

don't use it for silicone orings (there are some items that use silicone, like some lights/strobes, dry glove rings, rebreather loops, and some camera housings in particular) but otherwise should be good for buna/viton/epdm/PU in non-o2 clean usage. i would look at superlube which is silicone with ptfe though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom