Silent-Submersion vs. Gavin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lock that you guys are talking about is not what you think. It is intended to lock the throttle in the off postion, so that you don't spin the prop when handing it on and off boats and such. So yes there is a hole drilled at the off position, and that is the only hole. If you have people using it as a cruise control that's their problem as this is not the intended design.

Just didn't want everyone to MISINFORMED.

The speed thing is a waste of time. My SS is faster than other SS's. I am sure that all G's are slower or faster than other G's.

T

icediver once bubbled...
The lock that you guys are talking about is not what you think. It is intended to lock the throttle in the off postion, so that you don't spin the prop when handing it on and off boats and such. So yes there is a hole drilled at the off position, and that is the only hole. If you have people using it as a cruise control that's their problem as this is not the intended design.

Just didn't want everyone to MISINFORMED.

The speed thing is a waste of time. My SS is faster than other SS's. I am sure that all G's are slower or faster than other G's.

T

If Rodney is making them fully "lock off" now that's good. They do however have a "cruise control" and it's designed to be just that....

This is copied directly from the Silent Submersion web site...

"The UV scooters replace the two Mako handles with a unique, one handed operation motorcycle style handle, which cuts power to the motor when released and also has a cruise control & lock-off feature. "

http://www.silent-submersion.com/uv/index.htm

This is a very dangerous "feature" in my opinion as it could allow the scooter to be locked ON.

Just didn't want everyone to MISINFORMED. :wink:

I stand correct. However that was not the intent when I purchased mine over two years ago. I guess there have been some changes made.

T

I had a chance to use my friends SS scooter this weekend, and I thought it was quite nice. I still prefer my Gavins, but SS has done a pretty good job of copying the Gavin. I did not like the single handle on the SS, nor how it felt diving, I prefer the Gavin much much better.

The Gavin is also finished off a bit better. What I mean is it looks better machined and more refined. That is not what really counts, but hey you pay a lot of money, it better look good too.

Lastly, the service and support from Trey is a huge issue. He stands behind his Gavins 100%, and he will always be there to help out if needed. Service goes a long way in my book.

Just my thoughts...

Ok this guy is completely full of crap.

The SS looks much cleaner than the Gavin. Take your blinders off :p

Also, I believe Gavin and SS are both copies of other scooters.

Heh, DIR Tech Diver is funny.

lucid once bubbled...
Ok this guy is completely full of crap.

The SS looks much cleaner than the Gavin. Take your blinders off :p

Also, I believe Gavin and SS are both copies of other scooters.

Heh, DIR Tech Diver is funny.

Re-engineer or copy?

Bill Gavin (an engineer who designs underwater vehicles, rebreathers, and other gear for the US Navy) and Trey basically re-engineered the Mako to make it perform better (rewound motor), last longer (more battery), and run nearly three times as deep (completely different body).

What does the SS do the Gavin doesn't??

Same motor, same body type... basically the SS is a copy of a Gavin with a different handle. Made so the people who don't like GI can buy a scooter that will do things similar to what a Gavin does (speed, depth, runtimes, etc.).

In my book that makes the SS a copy.

Also, Bill Gavin and Trey didn't design the Gavin to sell for profit. They designed it to accomplish a mission for which no other vehicles existed at the time. Gavins weren't even available to anyone not on the team for a while. Bill Gavin and Trey (GI) absorbed ALL of the research and developement costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom