Silent Submergence Clutch Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking at the clutch plate on my silent submergence scooter, and it looks like there's an additional piece of metal behind the clutch plate that my other one doesn't have. Seems like lead based on poking it with a screwdriver. It seems pretty firmly affixed to the clutch plate, and I can't get the clutch off the shaft. The exploded diagram shows pretty clearly a single part for the clutch plate.

Attachments

• 70865653449__5B32FA82-DDD2-4849-94AB-694C015A7A0F.JPG
    70865653449__5B32FA82-DDD2-4849-94AB-694C015A7A0F.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 63
It's a zinc anode.
Perhaps its not in the parts diagram because the part it's attached to was originally made from plastic.

For the life of me I can't get this zinc anode off. I'd like to replace it because I can't get the scooter trimmed out, it sits in the water neutral with about four pounds of lead in the nose but at about an 80 degree angle so it's a real pain to drive long distances. Seems like my only options are pulling the anode or adding a little floatation to the shroud arms.

Any ideas on how it might be stuck in there? It wiggles a little but doesn't come free, I don't see any fasteners, and I'd have to do a pretty major disassembly job to get to it from the other side of the tail cone.

It just slides off.
Nothing holds it on.

what scooter? Can you move the battery forward?

It just slides off.
Nothing holds it on.
I agree that's how it's supposed to work, that's certainly how it is on my other SS :). For whatever reason this one's stuck. I don't think it can be corroded onto the shaft though, because I can wiggle it back and forth; it's somehow captive.

I don't have an image with it weighted with the internal lead, but here's the weighting dive with clip weights. It's somewhere around 60°. Battery's all the way forwards, and unfortunately it's an aftermarket that's longer (i.e. more afterwards center of mass) than stock.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 7.31.11 AM.png

May need to start shaving weight off the tail.
Switching to aluminum threaded rods for the battery, BT prop, etc.

Changing the prop wont accomplish much.
It will bypass the safety system.

This is why as the manufacturer we only recommend the oem battery pack built and balanced in our shop.

Removing the anode will not make much of a difference.

Again if you email bender@subseapropulsion.com we can set up a call and talk you through disasembly and trim adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom