Silent Diving Systems...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I like the folk at Silent Diving Systems, and hopefully will progress to a rebreather this year.

What are the KEY differences between the Inspiration and the Evolution?

What are the main flavors of the Inspiration?

The current flavors are the Classic, and the Evolution. The Classic is larger, and has more rated duration.

The Evolution comes with Vision electronics, which include decompression software, as well as the controls and displays for the solenoid and sensors....AND....the temp stick analog gauge which is like a car's gas gauge. It gives you an idea of scrubber usage.

The Classic, while normally fitted with twin hand-sets, can now be obtained with a Vision head, thus giving you a combination of longer duration and the new deco computer set-up.

Both are good units. The Evo, as it is called, is easier to travel with.

NetDoc:
What are the KEY differences between the Inspiration and the Evolution?
The Inspiration has a 5.5 lbs scrubber CE rated for 3 hrs.
The Evolution has a 5 lbs scrubber CE rated for 2 hrs.

The Inspo has 3 ltr tanks (19 cuft), the Evo has 2 tr tanks (13 cuft)

The Inspo comes with Classic or Vision electronics, the Evo only with Vision.

Aside from the scrubber cannister the loop bits are the same.

What are the main flavors of the Inspiration?
Classic and Vision.

The Classic has two handsets that display the 3 cell readouts, one for each controller.

The Vision has a single handset with dual cell readouts that includes a dive timer/depth meter.
You can get nitrox and trimix deco software as an option.
The Vision has a HUD mounted on the DSV with 4 LEDs, two per controller.
The Vision offer the TempStick option which lets you know how much of your scrubber has been used.
The Vision allows data to be downloaded (log) and uploaded (upgrades/fixes).

In the latest fix the cell tracking was disabled, so neither electronics currently have that.

Pete
Another thing we have in common. I'm hoping to eventually make this switch myself, rather than buy a bunch of doubles sets.

This year, I know of 2 or 3 new RB units that should come on the market, so the field should widen a bit.

Jim

jagfish:
This year, I know of 2 or 3 new RB units that should come on the market, so the field should widen a bit.
Jim

hi jim,

let me hear more about the new RB units that will come on the market this year!

ken chung ar

Is there a difference in weights?

NetDoc:
Is there a difference in weights?
Indeed there is, both weight and size.
The Inspiration weights around 29.5 kg (65 lbs),
the Evolution weights around 24.5 kg (54 lbs).
Around because they come with either 16 kg or 22.5 kg wings and medium or large harness and counterlungs as needed and these weight in a bit differently. Weight, by the way, is a relative thing. The loops are almost the same size (there is only 20% difference in the scrubber capacity) so pretty much whatever you save on the surface you'll have to add in lead when diving.

The location of your planned dives will likely be the deciding factor unless the less expensive Classic is your choice. The two Vision equiped models cost the same. If you travel a lot the Inspiration is a pita to haul around unless you get a small custom frame for it. And it's mighty close to single bacg weight allowance in and by itself if you have to take the tanks to your destination.

The numbers are from the manuals which can be downloaded for free from both websites:
Ambient Pressure Diving
Silent Diving Systems

You'll also find the measurements in there, with or without harness, CL and BC.
As well as details on the electronics, warning modes, pre- and post dive protocol etc.

You should also consider taking into account your own physical size if you're considering both units. If you're smaller/shorter, you may just find the Evo a better fit than the Inspiration is to your body. That ended up being my deciding factor in purchasing the Evo over the Inspiration... Initially, I worried about the "smaller" cylinders, until I realized that the scrubber duration was the limiting factor, and the 13cf cylinders could easily outrun the Inspiration's "bigger" scrubber, too.

Scrubber duration is advertised based on CE testing methodologies that run an awful lot of CO2 through the system. YMMV significantly, especially since there's a scrubber gauge if you choose the nicer Vision electronics :)

Price difference?

Of course, I see these guys most every trade show, and have NEVER thought to have them tell which end is up! :D

Am not up to speed on that, to be honest. You'll have to contact SDS to get the price. But ti give you a rough idea, the Classic Inspiration will be around the $7,300 mark, plus ADV (auto diluent add on descent, optional on both but you want it). A loaded Vision (with ADV, deco and temp stick) should be around $10K. Training around $1,500, though that depends on the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom