Signal tube deployment : going up with the device! scary...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

houlejon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wow, this could of been whorst. I just bought a SMB and told myself I should try it before I really need to deploy it.
First time went fine. Second time was a different story. I use my drysuit hose to inflate my SMB so it rockets to the surface. THe problem is that my reel line got strangled an would not unroll more than 5 ft of rope.... Since the reel was attached to my BC (major mistake) , I started to be pulled up to the surface very quickly. I don't know how many pounds of lift there is in a 6ft smb but It really floats... I was REALLY lucky I was at only 15 ft from the surface.
I just can't imagine this happening at 100ft..

Obvious lesson is not to have the reel attached to my bc but any other advices? Should we only deploy when close to the surface?

Last edited:
Obvious lesson is not to have the reel attached to my bc but any other advices?

Yes!

Have a competent buddy waiting with a cutting tool to cut your line if you become tangled.

An SMB can easily send you on an unstoppable ride to the surface, a lot faster than you want to go.

flots.

the deeper the easier.
you can get blobs with a mini cylinder which are pretty good.
i tend the use the exhaust gas when exhaling if on oc-easy to hold with no line deployed and less chance of entanglement.
do whatever you find easiest.
i find spools better than reels.

Yes, you were lucky.

I would recommend doing this training with an instructor.

Should this skill be part of an advanced open water course?

Yes, you were lucky.

I would recommend doing this training with an instructor.

I have over 100 dives and it's the first time I have an incident that could of been deadly! (I am rescue diver). I think this could be part of the advanced training since it seems there's a significant potential danger when deploying a SMB. It also need some practice before using it for "real"

It was part of my AOW course. The boat required one so the instructor thought it proper that we know how to use it :wink:

Several tips:

1. Never attach anything that can be snagged or has significant buoyancy to your person. You need to be able to let whatever it is go.

2. Keep the whole assembly well out in front of you when you are shooting a bag. Line LOVES dive gear.

3. Remember that, if you shoot the bag at 30 feet, you only need to fill it halfway to have it completely full at the surface. The less air you put in the bag underwater, the easier it is to manage.

4. Shoot the bag from a horizontal position in the water. That way, if you need to swim yourself down against its buoyancy for a minute or two to solve a problem, it's easy. If you are vertical, any kicking you do is only going to make the problem worse. I can pull a 3' bag down from the surface, just by swimming against the buoyancy.

5. Consider learning the procedure with a smaller bag. There's a lot less risk involved.

Thank you for coming and telling your story. We talk a lot about bag shooting, and I sometimes wonder if new divers reading about it understand that it is a procedure with some risks, and it really needs to be done correctly to be safe.

Several tips:

1. Never attach anything that can be snagged or has significant buoyancy to your person. You need to be able to let whatever it is go.

2. Keep the whole assembly well out in front of you when you are shooting a bag. Line LOVES dive gear.

3. Remember that, if you shoot the bag at 30 feet, you only need to fill it halfway to have it completely full at the surface. The less air you put in the bag underwater, the easier it is to manage.

4. Shoot the bag from a horizontal position in the water. That way, if you need to swim yourself down against its buoyancy for a minute or two to solve a problem, it's easy. If you are vertical, any kicking you do is only going to make the problem worse. I can pull a 3' bag down from the surface, just by swimming against the buoyancy.

5. Consider learning the procedure with a smaller bag. There's a lot less risk involved.

Thank you for coming and telling your story. We talk a lot about bag shooting, and I sometimes wonder if new divers reading about it understand that it is a procedure with some risks, and it really needs to be done correctly to be safe.

Thanks for the advices. I'll be a safer diver.(even if I thought I was).

Would you say a finger spool would be better than a regular "handle" reel ?

Thanks for the advices. I'll be a safer diver.(even if I thought I was).

Would you say a finger spool would be better than a regular "handle" reel ?

check out you tube.

dsmb deployment.

the spool guys make it look real slick.

here's a trick - use your bc to fill the bag. put your hose under the opening, and let what air is in your bc into your smb. the net buoyancy change will be zip. if you need more air in the bag, use your reg purge with your arms out front of you. when it goes, be ready to add air to your bc, because you'll be negative while it goes up.

and here's another bit of advice - i very much appreciate the good instinct you're showing, posting your mistakes & asking for input. that's awesome. but a bit more research on your part would have definitely been the better path. you made (and learned from! i repeat that i think your learning & posting is great!) some mistakes that would have been easy to avoid with reading.

no need to reinvent the wheel. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom