Signal Mirror for Bubble Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
I did something for the first time today that I will be doing on every dive henceforth. I pulled out my signal mirror and looked all over my rig for bubbles. Seeing none, I conducted the dive with more confidence.

Why it has taken my dumb ass so long to figure this simple thing out I don't know.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/safe-signal-mirror/

When I was diving backmount I bought a woman's compact mirror from CVS. A couple bucks, closes to protect the mirror, and it's magnified! Only used it a few months before going sidemount and not having to worry about looking behind me for bubbles.

Thanks for the tip. If this mirror breaks I'll buy a cheapo.

I'm only a simple recreational diver. How ever I always do a bubble check of my regulator.
What I do is to stay horizontal face up, keep breath and look if any bubble stream goes up. No mirror nor nothing needed.

I'm only a simple recreational diver. How ever I always do a bubble check of my regulator.
What I do is to stay horizontal face up, keep breath and look if any bubble stream goes up. No mirror nor nothing needed.
This is what was taught on my solo diver course. However, if you see a stream of minuscule bubbles, you might be interested to know where exactly they come from. A mirror might not be sufficient.

On one dive I used my u/w video camera to record the exact whereabouts of the leak. I then played back the recording underwater and then decided to thumb the cave dive.

With the mirror I can discern if it's leaking from the valve, the 1st stage o-ring, the 1st stage itself, or any of the hoses. Just have to position the mirror and turn my head. Admittedly less comfortable in 60-degree water, but those are the breaks.

I got this tip from Jim Lapenta on the board. It's great. Vid camera is good too if you happen to be carrying one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom