Signal for Entanglement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are behind them on the line and they are fouling the line, how would you signal them so that they don't turn to look at you? In other words, they are not facing you and would have to turn around to see you or you would have to swim in front of/along side them to signal. Remember, if they turn, they will probably entangle the line even more.

Sorry, I missed that. If you're in a restriction, then crisp light signals and touch communication become more important. Again, it's important for the team work this out ahead of time. I respectfully defer to the overhead experts for more specific advice in this scenario.

As you specifically mention this in a student-teacher relationship - I think I would make it part of the course discussion to discuss this issue. Ask them what they would do when given a light attention signal. Then ask them how that might negatively affect them if they were entangled. Ask them to come up with ideas of how to get more information without risking making things worse.

In a cave I attempt to look between my legs on a gentle light signal. With a urgent light signal I'm probably likely to turn around and expect an air share situation - what else is urgent?

Out of the student-teacher relationship if you have this happen on dives you could probably address in the after dive chatting.

*disclaimer - I'm really new to this overhead/line running world, so if you disagree - hey I'm a clueless newbie :wink:

timle- I did mention that I was DM for a class, but just because seeing it so much in one weekend made me think about it more. I wasn't asking specifically for a class situation; I was just seeing if anyone had any better methods.

Rig- no worries- I was fishing for a wide range of ideas and methods. You've posted all good stuff, and probably most importantly, to work it out ahead of time. :wink:

There is no right or wrong way to get a divers attention regarding an entanglement....many good ways have been shared. Each situation will require the team members to handle it as best as possible.

There is no right or wrong way to get a divers attention regarding an entanglement....many good ways have been shared. Each situation will require the team members to handle it as best as possible.

Yes, there are right and wrong ways to get a divers attention in this situation. "Stop/hold" is a command signal that demands immediate compliance & confirmation. The signaled diver then awaits the next instructive signal. "Attention" means look at me and I'll communicate something to you. "Emergency" means look at me while THINKING AND ACTING FAST! You need to assist me or another teammate.

It would be foolish of me to shoot you shoot you an "attention signal" when I really should tell you to "stop/hold"

In a nutshell, give the correct signal and know how to respond to a given signal.

Perhaps the issue is how the line is treated?
If the line keeps entrapping divers then it´s "obviously" not laid well enough. Keep it tight and make more tie-offs if needed. There´s also the issue of "line followers" vs. "cave divers"...you need to reference the line and know how to get to it but unless it´s a really tight passage or bad viz you have no business swimming on top of it.

As far as signals go I think "attention"(with the light) followed by "hold"(handsignal) is the only way to go. "Hold" is a command-signal and means that you arrest all movement until "released" (that is not negotiable). If the entanglement is minor I´d prefer to fix the entanglement, then give the signal for it and "release" rather than "tell a story" first...

Turning around really shouldn´t cause additional problems...If "looking back" rather than forward motion is the issue then working on how to do that with mininum movement/disturbance should solve the problem (=looking between their legs etc)...Since all they get is an attention signal there´s no rush, tell them to take it slow if that´s what they need to do to stay on top of bouyancy and trim.

The problem with "attention" is that that people will likely keep swimming while they look back to see what you want. The importance of keeping the team moving has been made clear in all my classes and I wouldn´t want anyone to stop because of an attention signal. But it´s only a problem if you position yourself close enough to the line to allow entanglement and lack the awareness to notice if it happens (that is of course a constant "work in progress" for all divers)...

ymmv

Yes, there are right and wrong ways to get a divers attention in this situation. "Stop/hold" is a command signal that demands immediate compliance & confirmation. The signaled diver then awaits the next instructive signal. "Attention" means look at me and I'll communicate something to you. "Emergency" means look at me while THINKING AND ACTING FAST! You need to assist me or another teammate.

It would be foolish of me to shoot you shoot you an "attention signal" when I really should tell you to "stop/hold"

In a nutshell, give the correct signal and know how to respond to a given signal.

My statement was intended to reflect the general means of a signal at the specific time and place....I understand the common signals methods and review them with team members to make sure we are on the right track... and agree they are proven methods....but in the situation of an incident req. a signal you will pick the appropreate one....and it will follow protocols sets by the dive briefing and team/buddy. Like I stated many good methods have been reviewed here...the important thing in diving is to communicate prior to the dive the basics for your uw communications, this will help insure a smooth dive regardless of which signal method you set in place.

Buddy in front, facing away + entangled...
I would go to touch contact. You are going to need to get close and approach them to disentangle them anyway. So swim up, squeeze calf or thigh so they stop and then get to work freeing them.

It sounds like these may not be "line trained" students though. In which case I wonder why there's a line at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom