Sightings of Abnormal Garibaldi Behavior or Death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last summer I witnessed and videotaped several garibaldi that were exhibiting unusual swimming and other behavior, as well as death.

My first clue was a garibaldi that was lying on the bottom on its side. It was breathing. When disturbed, it attempted to swim away, but could only swim in circles and eventually "crashed" back to the bottom. I observed one of them over the course of two dives. By the third dive it had disappeared and I assume it was eaten.

The other I saw exhibited very similar behavior, but was barely able to lift itself off the bottom.

Recently (within the last week) two local Catalina divers, diving separately, observed garibaldi on different dives that exhibited unusual behavior and probable death.

I would greatly appreciate reports (as detailed as possible; pictures and video helpful as well) from anyone who observes unusual behavior anywhere in SoCal. Through a dive buddy who works for CDF&G, we are gathering information for the Dept. to analyze and determine if samples should be taken and tested for any form of toxicity.

Demoic acid has been considered as one possible explanation. However, garibaldi feed low on the food chain and demoic acid poisoning is common at higher trophic levels where biomagnification has occured through the food chain. Chemicals in sewage that might affect reproductive behavior (such as estrogen from birth control pills excreted) have also been considered.

In all my years of diving SoCal (specifically Catalina) I don't remember seeing this until last year.

Thanks.

Dr. Bill

Bill, a question from someone who is clueless about marine life...

Assuming that all garibaldi die at some point in their lives :D , wouldn't it be expected to occasionally see garibaldi in the process of dying and exhibiting this behavior?

Assuming the garibaldi was adult.

Dr. Bill should we be looking at adult behavior only? And has this been seen only at Catalina, or on the Mainland as well? I would think if it were some sort of runnoff pollution, we would see far more of this on the mainland than at Catalina.

Jim, you are absolutely correct that all good garibaldi die and go to heaven eventually. However the ones I've observed are exhibiting wehat I would consider abnormal behaviour prior to death, suggestive of something other than natural (or at least normal) factors is involved.

A sewage-related source is a possibility due to the persistent sewage leaks affecting the waters of Avalon Bay. However, I generally consider most possible pollutants to be well-mixed by the time they hit the dive park(even though they are detected in ankle deep water in the Bay).

JDog- the behavior is being observed in adult garibaldi only so far. The only sightings I'm aware of to date were all in Catalina waters, and I believe all within the dive park itself.

The swimming in circles happens in trout, and it is called "whirling disease". I don't know if there is any correlation, but the circle swimming brought that back to my mind. It is parasitic, but as far as I know only found in salmonids.

kent_1848:
The swimming in circles happens in trout, and it is called "whirling disease". I don't know if there is any correlation, but the circle swimming brought that back to my mind. It is parasitic, but as far as I know only found in salmonids.

I once saw some hairy nature chicks dancing in circles at a Dead show. But I didn't consider it abnormal behavior.

Well, not considering the circumstances.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom