Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cortez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone use a sidemount for their solo diving? Or any diving for that matter?

I know it's more common for cave diving, but after listening to one of our instructors talking about it I'm thinking of having a go with it.

Wondering if anyone out here has any experience with it...

cortez:
Does anyone use a sidemount for their solo diving? Or any diving for that matter?

I know it's more common for cave diving, but after listening to one of our instructors talking about it I'm thinking of having a go with it.

Wondering if anyone out here has any experience with it...

I always dive side mount, either cave wreck or openwater

what do you want to know?

Curt Bowen:

Why do you prefer sidemount over other options for openwater?

Please provide a brief explanation of its strengths and weakenesses. Where can I read some discussion on this subject.

Curt Bowen:

I was curious to know what people were doing about harnesses. I know that you sell or at least advertise the Armadillo harness in ADM, but I am interested in other mounting options... for harnesses such as the IQ Pack, etc.

Some advantages are...and i'm sure that curt will correct me if I'm wrong... LOL...

The tanks are easily removable. there is nothing behind you to get entangled. The valves are easy to reach. The first stages and hoses are where they can easily be inspected at any time. You can strap on just about any two tanks and be ready to go so you can have what you need just about anyplace without having to assemble bands or manifolds. Easier storage and transportation.

there's probably more but that's a start.

I also use a side mount - the Dive Rite one, easy to transport, easy to fit. bottle is out (esp. important as I solo with camera gear) of the way and a quite streamline. WIth a camera I also spend quite abit of time layed on a sandy bottom so side mount helps there too.

Thanks for the start, Mike. I found some good info in The Deco Stop about sidemounts.

whitehead:
I also use a side mount - the Dive Rite one, easy to transport, easy to fit. bottle is out (esp. important as I solo with camera gear) of the way and a quite streamline. WIth a camera I also spend quite abit of time layed on a sandy bottom so side mount helps there too.

Are the bottles more out of the way than a properly mounted stage slung bottle? I've seen many claim stage slung bottles disappear underwater, not so. Certainly not to the extent backmount does. Actually, looking at some of the advantages of stage slung and sidemount, maybe backmounts are too out of the way from a safety perpective.

I sidemount. I used the old innertube and weightbelt system for a long time and it was fine. I recently bought an Armadillo and after fitting it I jumped right in and it was very comfortable. I also have a couple sets of doubles and they are so heavy I got tired of lugging them around and I've been diving out of a kayak and sidemount is the only way to go. I am cave certified but I use the doubles or sidemount setup in the pool with class and anytime I am in the water. A sidemount rig is less expensive than most other kits and is a whole lot more comfortable, flexible, and stable.

Back
Top Bottom