SideMount Setup Fine Tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, there is a continuous bungee. when you are underwater, you can unclip the top boltsnap and push the tank around on the bungee if you need to then reclip it...the tanks are very streamlined irrespective of how full they are as they are attached to you with top and bottom boltsnaps and a bungee./

also, your bungees just look to be looped around the tank handles as opposed to under the handles, around the front of the valve and then looped on the bolt on the other side of the handle... you could slowly and accidentally turn your air off in your config....:)

but also your system may not be designed for my config..

Andrew,

It will be easier when we meet to clean up some of this stuff as you will have my cylinders/rigs. I won’t have you do it my way as there are important details that I’m simply not proficient enough in sidemount to advise. But the cylinders, we’ll get that going

Regs up, handles out.

Left post should have 5th port going to your inflator, transmitter down the tank, bungee'd short host on the turret. Ditch the button SPG's. They fail on the regular and are generally a waste of money.

Right post should have 5th port going to your drysuit inflator, transmitter down the tank, long hose down through the tank straps, back up across your chest around your neck and in your mouth. Ditch the 90 on the long hose. It's unnecessary.

Bottom cam band straps should be the length from your armpit to your hip bones. Set them up by using the manifold crossbar port/burst disk stem. Take the length from your armpit to your hip bone and translate that to your tank. Put your lower bolt snap at that distance.

Ditch those lower d-rings on your harness. They're unnecessary and out of position. Your upper d-rings are in the right spot. Use those.

Use independent loop bungees. The loop stretches behind the valve and loops onto the manifold crossbar. Bolt snaps on loop bungees are only for keeping the loops in front for easy of donning and doffing. They should be disconnected while diving because they prevent the bungee from camming the tanks back and up. Better solution is to simply tie a small loop of bungee through the loop and around the harness webbing. It will slide up and down the webbing as necessary and won't prevent the loop bungee from doing its job. Length should be right around the distance you can pull and it reaches your nipples at full stretch. Have a buddy adjust these in the water if necessary.

If you want to clip a top boltsnap for the purposes of securing tanks above water, put a bolt snap around the valve on some cordage or some bungee. Once in the water, disconnect them.

Ditch the chest strap.

Take a sidemount course. It's cheap money compared to the frustration most people deal with trying to get their stuff sorted. It's not always intuitive, and you need proper feedback based on how you look in the water.

Hmmmm...I did not think the chances of a "roll off" [accidental shutoff of the gas tank] in this config was an issue...in the interest of safety, I will certainly re-evaluate this, especially once I re-config the setup :)

If you want to clip a top boltsnap for the purposes of securing tanks above water, put a bolt snap around the valve on some cordage or some bungee. Once in the water, disconnect them.

i respectfully disagree with this, but it may be a config thing. I'm going a pool session on monday night to drill some new camera equipment. i'll send a video of my config etc after and we can debate it then.

Hmmmm...I did not think the chances of a "roll off" [accidental shutoff of the gas tank] in this config was an issue...in the interest of safety, I will certainly re-evaluate this, especially once I re-config the setup :)

may not be, like i said...might be a config thing as i don't know your setup, but i would generally not do it as the alternate method reduces/minimizes the chances of a roll of..

i also noticed you don't have a D-ring on your crotch strap. I find this very useful, mainly for clipping my fins off when i'm getting out of the drink on bonaire, but it's also indespensible for keeping trim for clipping off my lower D- ring if i am diving single sidemount and my tank is running dry...the butt of my tank never raises above my buttcheek even if i'm running on 100 psi...

I will look into SM courses around here...very few or none that I could find on first pass...

I will look into the D ring on my crotch strap, I used one there [or a John line ring] on my tech harness :) It is useful!

I will look into SM courses around here...very few or none that I could find on first pass...

I will look into the D ring on my crotch strap, I used one there [or a John line ring] on my tech harness :) It is useful!

bite the bullet and go to playa del carmen to train in the cenotes...the water is crystal clear. it's a really great experience and you can do some light cave diving as well :) if you go razor the guys have a studio apartment on the marina at puerto adventures for about $50 a night that you can stay in for the 3/4 days you are doing the course..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom