Sidemount option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the incorrect folder to post this question in, however I've only seen cave divers utilize this particular gear set up. I'm sure there are other people rather than cavers to do so, but this is the place I'm hoping for answers.

My question has to do with gear set up and hose routing. What would the proper procedure be to go about doing this? Second, does anyone have any links available for this particular style of gear set up so I may read up on the subject and perhaps seek out additional training if required.

My current gear:

Dive-Rite Trans-Pac/51lb wing with the bungee removed.
Access to a number of cylinder size and types.
Long Hose. Bungeed second.
I dive wet.

Perhaps I'll need to re-think my wing? Don't need it flapping all over the place, I suppose. Or a completely different setup? Maybe a harness only?

Why do I want to dive this way? Why not?

Steele:
My question has to do with gear set up and hose routing. What would the proper procedure be to go about doing this?
A lot of trial and error. There is no magic sidemount kit like there is backmount that works for most people. The two "kits" available commercially will still require many dives and much tweaking. The day you stop tweaking your sidemount rig is the day you stop diving.

Steele:
Second, does anyone have any links available for this particular style of gear set up so I may read up on the subject and perhaps seek out additional training if required.
The only good links for kit are above and http://www.caveexcursions.com/store/site_cave_diving.asp . If your making a franken-rig they are good reads for ideas. The other good spot for advise is cavediver.net. Sidemount training is available though many cave instructors. The Brits have there own distinct styles too, but I am not familiar with them.

Steele:
My current gear:

Dive-Rite Trans-Pac/51lb wing with the bungee removed.
Access to a number of cylinder size and types.
Long Hose. Bungeed second.
I dive wet.
This is the basis for diverite's rig and a whole lot of modified rigs. Longhose is a pain, and if your going sidemount and your buddies are going sidemount you can loose it. My regs are set up: right tank 22-24 inch hose w/ elbow, left tank 40 inch hose around neck like a stage. Start with LP85's if you have them, they are the easiest to dive.

Steele:
Perhaps I'll need to re-think my wing? Don't need it flapping all over the place, I suppose.

Put the wing inside the harness/trans-pac and put the bungee back on it. That should take care of all the flapping and angel wings. You can also add some sort of "belly strap" if you find you need it.

Steele:
Or a completely different setup?
What you have can work, you'll need to buy/fabricate some sort of butt plate and tank neck holders. Steal ideas from Armadilo/Diverite/Rennaker. You can use a plate and harness instead of trans-pac. One of my two sidemount rigs is my Halcyon 55# wing stuffed inside my Plate. Otherwise its almost identical to the Diverite system.

Steele:
Maybe a harness only?
Good old British Sidemount. You should be able to find more information from the Brits on stuff like dragon harness. All I can say is people do it, but not me.

Steele:
Why do I want to dive this way?
So you can go in small places? I dive this way for because while some of the cave around here is backmountable, most of it is not. What is, is much better done sidemount because its tight and sidemount is less impacting to the system.

Edit: I missed why not.

Its a pain in the *** to dive sidemount off a boat. You need a good chunk of room to gear up and walking around with sidemounts on is not all that pleasant and getting on and off is ... challenging.

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and links. This is perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm unsure as to what sort of training would be required for this type rig other than to actually dive it in a controlled environment to get it dialed in and the muscle memory started. Am I missing something? Obviously I must be, otherwise Jim wouldn't have mentioned it.

I'm thinking the skillset cannot be too radically different than doubles except location of valves and breathing down the tanks equally (? - or not?).

Steele:
Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and links. This is perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm unsure as to what sort of training would be required for this type rig other than to actually dive it in a controlled environment to get it dialed in and the muscle memory started. Am I missing something? Obviously I must be, otherwise Jim wouldn't have mentioned it.

I'm thinking the skillset cannot be too radically different than doubles except location of valves and breathing down the tanks equally (? - or not?).

I didn't take any official training, and figured it all out on my own. You'd have to talk to an instructor about what kinds of things are covered on the courses. It is however a steep learning curve if you're going it alone. I believe NSS-CDS can teach you right form cavern in sidemount now.

JimC:
I believe NSS-CDS can teach you right form cavern in sidemount now.
I'll check into that. Unfortunately my instructor has injured himself in a skydiving accident recently. I'm in no rush though, I can wait for his recovery... GWS Jeff :)

Steele:

Skill set I think is radically different. There is a proper technique for gas switching,removing tanks, hose routing,positioning of other things like reels since the tanks block easy access,how to deal with getting stuck and communicating this etc.
I find the hardest thing for entry level sidemount divers is being used to doubles and changing to sidemount and making trim adjustments. I have a friend that has 1000 cave dives who just started side mounting,and his comment was it feels like he had never been in the water before. My recommendation is hook up with an experienced sidemount diver and use them for mentoring and get you started on a good foundation. Good luck on your endeavor.

What are you doing awake at 5am Saturday? (And coherant, at that!)

Me? I'm off to Vortex to practice some line drills and let the family do the surface-action. Believe me, Vortex wasn't my first choice. But I want to get wet, so I'll hold the peace with the wife.

On-topic though, I spoke with a friend of mine last night. He has the same thing I was thinking of rigging up. The only difference in our total gear set-up I think are our can lights and tanks.

He is using a slim can, whilst I have that big fat dive-rite :wink:

He is using 108s and I think I'll go with the LP85s. My hook up doesn't have them, but I can find a pair somewhere.

You can take training, but it's really not all that extremely vital if you have someone that could mentor you through some of the differences. I took the class for giggles. I was down in Florida diving for fun w/ my instructor and we were all sidemounting, so she ran me through the class - it was the IANTD sidemount/no-mount course. It mainly involved getting familiar with the gear... removing one tank, removing both tanks, negotiating restrictions without tanks, with one tank, with both tanks, negotiating restrictions with mask off, etc, etc.

If you don't have someone that can walk you through things though, definitely take the class! Having someone experienced that can show you how to rig your regs, how to clip stuff on, where to route your light cord....that's priceless. I was lucky that my cave diving group are all extremely experienced sidemount divers so I had a wealth of knowledge to pull from. I quizzed them constantly :)

If you already have a Transpac you are well on your way to getting a sidemount rig setup. One thing about sidemount - it's very "personal". Everyone has their own preference for how it goes together.

You can go the "Dive Rite Way", which is the transpac with some extra hardware. You could buy an off the shelf Armadillo harness. You can convert another BC into sidemount. I got a near-new Zeagle Ranger for free from someone, so I have a "franken-sidemount" setup. Rangers are great for sidemount as it doesn't take much more than a butt plate & some bicycle inner tube to turn them into a great sidemount rig.

As far as hose routing goes... also kind of individual. I use 6" high pressure hoses for my SPG's. My regulators hoses are standard length hoses - I use Poseidons, so I have the benefit of having regs that work great from either side. On my left tank is a short (12") LP hose for my BC inflator. On my right is another short (don't remember the length...I just went through my pile of hoses til I found one that fit) LP hose for my drysuit.

I bungee my SPG's to the valve so that they are short and compact. My drysuit hose runs under my chest straps so it's out of the way. BC inflator kinda does the same.

Diving it is a CINCH! You will absolutely love it. The first time I dove it, it felt so natural in the water. There was no acclimation period like there was with doubles. Jumped in the water, clipped on my tanks and away we went. The only issue I had was trim...had to get the bands on my tanks adjusted properly so I was nice and horizontal. Other than that....it's a dream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom