Sidemount Harness Choice/Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T
Oh, well then the wing you have isn't really what you need, as it is a back mount wing. If you want to turn a transpac into a sidemount system, you are better off using the Nomad XT wing.

Without going into tons of detail, you need a wing with the lift on the lower back, bungees to keep it compact and hold your lift there, etc. The wing you have won't do any of that without heavy modification, and then still won't be as good as a wing meant for SM.

But maybe this guy could teach you in a donut wing, I hear he is an excellent SM instructor :) Anyway, all jokes aside, you really do need a wing meant for SM to properly do SM, a rig designed for it will be way better than modification of a back mount system.

View attachment 395795

I though the nomad xt was built on a transpac xt harness? So if I add a butt plate and swap the wing I have a nomad xt setup correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
I though the nomad xt was built on a transpac xt harness? So if I add a butt plate and swap the wing I have a nomad xt setup correct?

Yes, that is correct... the harness is the same, the only difference is the Nomad wing. Add the loop bungees and a nomad and you have good SM setup.

You just have to swap out the Hollis wing.

Ok thanks for that. If I sell the hollis wing and the single tank adapter (that comes with it) half price the harness owes me $100 US and I can add to it from there.

The diver in that pic... The tanks need positioning properly and the wing needs some bungees to hold it down but otherwise his overall position is pretty much how I spend most of my time kneeling on the bottom doing recovery work. The hollis wing may just work for my intended purpose with some tweaking and perhaps some weight high on the back, I'll give it a go and if it's a failure I'll swap the wing out.

Thanks for all your help and advise!

Update: The transpac never got wet as I picked up a second hand Razor system shortly afterwards for $150AU.

Great bit of kit, diving twin 12 steels, 6lb of weight with 7mm wetsuit in freshwater no problems. Thanks again everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom