Sidemount for OW/Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at the quarry this weekend finishing up my Rescue cert.

When I first got there, sitting at the waters edge were two tanks that I thought were the worlds largest pony bottles or stage bottles.

30 minutes later, I saw this guy put on his rig, DR Nomad, actually he had be walking around for some time with in on. He walked down to the water, attached his tanks and off he went!

It blew my fragile mind.

As soon as I got home I started to figure out what this whole side mounting thing was.

Way cool.

My goal is to get my dry suit here in the very near future. When I do that, I was going to double up my HP100's.

After seeing the whole side mount thing, I want to make sure I'm not ruling out a style or technique.

The style of diving that I have myself geared for is our cold local quarries and the wrecks off the NC coast.

Do any of you side mount divers have any feedback or thoughts on wreck diving off of charter boats?

While this is in warm water, still an impressive display of sidemount diving a wreck:

Cool video. Although I can see there value in certain situations I think I would find them to be a bit of work. Definetaly wouldnt want to perform several of those moves in a drysuit.

If you've done any diving from New York to North Carolina you'd find it very difficult to get back on the dive boat with sidemounts as conditions can change rapidly there. Most people wear back mounted and sling their other tanks as you can clip off the sling tanks on a line and pull them out once your up, and just get out with your back mounts ,this is much easier when seas kick up on you all of the sudden, just my two cents

Last edited:
If you find a local Dive Rite tech Tour they will allow you to try out the Nomad rig. I can tell you it is awesome. The best part is like you saw, walking to the water without any tanks on. It can be a little task loaded because you have to switch regs and breathe down the tanks equally. I have not dove sidemount from a boat and can not attest to that.

Sidemounting is a tool, like everything else in scuba. But I have to admit, I prefer it to backmounting doubles.

I have used a Nomad and it's a find sidemount rig, but I prefer the Armadillo. The Armadillo was designed as a sidemount harness, with a lower waist belt and virutally no snap points on the back. The Nomad does have greater lift, which can be important depending on what you plan to carry for tanks. I find the Armadillo a bit easier when it comes to looping the bungees around the tanks.

This is, of course, a personal preference.

One little piece of advice. If you are planning to sidemount, get some instruction. There are nuances that are extremely important, expecially on how to set up your tanks.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Jeff

Most people wear back mounted and sling their other tanks as you can clip off the sling tanks on a line and pull them out once your up, and just get out with your back mounts ,this is much easier when seas kick up on you all of the sudden, just my two cents

What makes you think you can't clip off sidemount tanks on a line to be pulled up?

When the seas kick up, you'd rather have backmounted tanks on your back, rather than nothing?

I've considered using my sidemount rig for offshore diving. The reasons I stray from the idea... its alot of loose clutter when its not being worn(loose tanks, etc). Clipping tanks on while dry can be a bit of a PITA, especially on a rocking boat, and having them handed down to me with the chance of me dropping one into the depths makes me nervous. There are obviously ways to get around all of this if you think about it a small bit... but those are the largest reasons that come to mind. Getting out of the water and back on the boat seems to be more of an advantage for sidemount setups.

While this is in warm water, still an impressive display of sidemount diving a wreck.

I was more than impressed. And not a wing in sight. Wouldn't mind a small percentage of his skill.

What makes you think you can't clip off sidemount tanks on a line to be pulled up?

I agree that sidemount tanks can be removed and clipped off easily to make for an easy egress,and retrieve the tanks later.

But,sidemounting does cause more drag,and this could be an issue in strong ocean currents.

What makes you think you can't clip off sidemount tanks on a line to be pulled up?I clip deco bottles, I usually clip mine off at about 20 ft under the boat from there you have to breath something to the surface and getting onto the ladder , remember he only asked opinion, thats mine, I have'nt seen to many sidemounted rigs on open ocean boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom