Sidemount Fin Recommendation? (Frog & Reverse Kick)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any opportunity to take formal lessons or get mentorship for SM and propulsion etc?
I don't want to go too far off topic here. The short story is I've looked into it, probably will at some point, local-options don't have me sold, which leaves more expensive traveling or keep looking locally. I don't entirely feel entirely bad, because I've read that (non-gorilla) Novas aren't great for frog-kick. I do move, it's just 2x the effort per kick, for 60% the results. I haven't tried with my old rocket-fins yet. I'll also likely record myself soon to help diagnose, I only just got everything ready to record underwater.

@SlugMug & @Cdncoldwater

One way I teach frog kics is to have students without scuba, float on the surface (easy with dry suits and no waits) on their backs. This allows for communication between my students and I, but more importantly, the students know immediately if they break at the waist as their knees break the surface. I do not like teaching face down frog kicking at the surface, as it isn't possible to not break at the waist.

HTH.

Also, @SlugMug, I do not like how both gorilla and non-gorilla novas reverse kicks. Having a proper blade fin like Eddys, RK3s, Jets, etc, makes a big difference in my opinion/experience. The only conifiguration where I don't choose the Eddy fins is with round bottomed steel twinsets & a dry suit as I'll be head heavy. They are light, stiff, and serve all but one of my equipment configurations.

I am about to see the light

Indigo%20Defiant%20XT%20-%20Black%20Spring.webp

these are showing me the way

https://www.indigo-industries.com/products

@SlugMug & @Cdncoldwater

One way I teach frog kics is to have students without scuba, float on the surface (easy with dry suits and no waits) on their backs. This allows for communication between my students and I, but more importantly, the students know immediately if they break at the waist as their knees break the surface. I do not like teaching face down frog kicking at the surface, as it isn't possible to not break at the waist.

HTH.

Also, @SlugMug, I do not like how both gorilla and non-gorilla novas reverse kicks. Having a proper blade fin like Eddys, RK3s, Jets, etc, makes a big difference in my opinion/experience. The only conifiguration where I don't choose the Eddy fins is with round bottomed steel twinsets & a dry suit as I'll be head heavy. They are light, stiff, and serve all but one of my equipment configurations.
I'll have to try practicing that way on the surface face-up. I might try that today.

It might be worth breaking out the old Jet-Fins just for practicing frog-kick, even if they don't go on a dive with me. If they work, then I suppose it would show it's worthwhile considering getting a better jet-style fin like the RK3s.

I am about to see the light

Indigo%20Defiant%20XT%20-%20Black%20Spring.webp

these are showing me the way

https://www.indigo-industries.com/products
Interesting concept. The price is ($150 entry) isn't too crazy. They do seem rather niche, so difficult to find reviews. They also look a little like FFs.

eddy are significantly stiffer than rk3. oms slipstream/hollis f1 LT are the other contenders in the neutral/stiff paddle fin category. but if you get cramps with jetfins, then the quattros or rk3s might be a better choice for less stiffness (or stop skipping leg day). a pair of used quattros is a low risk choice, if you get them for like 40 bucks or less, you pretty much can get your money back if you end up not wanting to keep them.

Quattro and Superchannels are very similar. SC are a bit softer IMO and either will work well.
X-Streams, pass. No sidewall and difficult to backkick in even with single cylinder. I use them in the pool.

Apex RK3 are another good choice.

Hollis F2 I will use with AL80’s and a wetsuit. With Steels and drysuit they are too soft for me

The Hollis F1 LT & Hollis F2 visually look visually like they might be somewhere between RK3s and Avanti Quattros.

How would you contrast them to RK3s? Or Avanti Quatros?

edit: It looks like the F1 LT is a bit heavier, and the F2 is more of a travel fin.

@SlugMug & @Cdncoldwater

HTH.

That sounds like a great way to learn frog kick. I'm fortunate enough to have a few instructors who have given me pointers between dives and watched me as I made changes to tweak my kicks. I'm still improving but my SAC has gone down as my effort is reducing and I've found my back kick is also starting to improve, I use both plus helicopter kicks on every dive, even if it isn't "required".

That sounds like a great way to learn frog kick. I'm fortunate enough to have a few instructors who have given me pointers between dives and watched me as I made changes to tweak my kicks. I'm still improving but my SAC has gone down as my effort is reducing and I've found my back kick is also starting to improve, I use both plus helicopter kicks on every dive, even if it isn't "required".
You of course can practice back finning the same way. Probably helicopter turns, though I haven't tried that personally. But I will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom