Sidemount Diving, Cozumel Trip, Do You?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just throwin this out there.....if you are staying at the park royal, there is also Marine World across the street. Alex (owner) was doing sm diving. not sure if he has kept it up or not but it may be an opportunity for you to dive with a shop that has an owner familiar with sm and who would certainly be more tolerant and helpful than most. my experience in coz is that most no nothing about sm. just a thought.

Alex still does dive sidemount but Alex doesn't dive very much, he's always in the office. You are much more likely to find someone diving sidemount next door at the Tiki bar - shore diving.

1000? dives a day are completed here in Cozumel with a single backmount aluminum 80. The vast majority of dives are max 80 foot deep with a stepping shallower profile to get you 30-60 minutes of in the water time, you could be here 6 months and not see anyone with a second gas source, it just is not common at all.

If you are diving with Roberta, I'm 95% sure she has a typical panga, you'll be back rolling. Back rolling with two tanks is not really that big a deal other than the seat and rail space you take up - if the boat is full. Roberta has been around a long time - sweet lady, talk with her or her shop people, they will help you in anyway you need I am sure of that.

Sidemount a single tank is a cool idea, I personally would just backmount but hey, to each his own and we're supposed to enjoy this right? I would not attempt to sidemount a single 100cf steel tank though, maybe belly mount but not side....

My personal advice to you - being first time back in the water, warm water not cold - I'd stick with backmount. I'm not sure Roberta really has steel 100cf tanks - maybe aluminum 100cf tanks - there is some long detail of the whys and the questions of even the 100cf aluminums.... You are diving in a group, they will have some policy about surfacing and you are not ever going to stay down longer than the guide - in fact you should be closely following the profile of the guide....

If you want to try the single tank or double tank sidemount, do it while shore diving in the afternoon at Tiki Bar - it's right there by your hotel. Out on any boat as part of a group is not a place to try something. Tiki bar rents tanks and weights, there is a bunch of people there and more than likely you'll run into someone diving sidemount. It's a place that we do confined water teaching so you have decent conditions to mess around. Doing back and sidemount when here is only bringing one extra reg, a few tools and your bcd - you can easily leave a pair of pants or two at home and bring what matters.

This '1000s back mount just fine' keeps getting repeated. Yet that applies to most any dive site or boat and some people still prefer to dive sidemount. Unless you add some extra 'the boats here hate or are bad for sidemount', by itself it does not seem a definitive reason to not sidemount. For those that are well proficient at it and managing it topside.

I would not think of sidemount here as for bottom time but rather familiarity, preference, one set of travel gear, and the same redundancy with instabuddies that may have partially motivated learning it in the first place.

A freedom plate and pony could serve the redundancy need. But if the boat does not provide ponies, sidemount gets real attractive vs flying with ones own pony.

I have not been to Coz, but "1000s back mount just fine" would not be enough reason for me.

This '1000s back mount just fine' keeps getting repeated. Yet that applies to most any dive site or boat and some people still prefer to dive sidemount. Unless you add some extra 'the boats here hate or are bad for sidemount', by itself it does not seem a definitive reason to not sidemount. For those that are well proficient at it and managing it topside.

I would not think of sidemount here as for bottom time but rather familiarity, preference, one set of travel gear, and the same redundancy with instabuddies that may have partially motivated learning it in the first place.

A freedom plate and pony could serve the redundancy need. But if the boat does not provide ponies, sidemount gets real attractive vs flying with ones own pony.

I have not been to Coz, but 1000s back mount just fine would not be enough reason for me.

The OP dives sidemeont with steel 72's with which the setup is a far cry from Aluminum 80's - he has 50 dives that way and is self taught which are all good things but the pure switch to 80's in this new enviroment is ehhhh. Diving as a group, descending as a group all while in the current means you gotta have it figured out.

Boats do not have issues with it, I'd guess most wouldn't but - see this as a semi hassle as compared to simple backmount. Some folks absolutely must have a redundent bottle then this is a possibility but it sure is easier climbing up a ladder with a single tank and small pony verses two sidemount tanks.

I dive sidemount here - I do it from shore and I do it from boats when I am diving with another sidemount diver. Our dive plans utilize both tanks, I am a guide here so I do not have to stay with any group. There is a reason to carry that second tank, the handling of it etc - if you are with a group that is only diving single 80's, why handle that extra thing?? Single tank sidemount is interesting, I would do that but I would also sort it out on a shore dive.

I wouldn't fall off a boat here with twin LP95's while diveing in a group of 80's just like I wouldn't sidemount twin 80's. I think there is a time and a place for everything.

Do boats reliably rent ponies to single travelers?
It would not be hard to rent a 40 and get it filled.

Excellent topics and points!!

How about this?

I fully rebuild my reg [annual service, but I am very meticulous] and fully build the single AL80 reg [2 octos, etc]...then I will be diving the stealth. I can handle one AL90 on my left side [or go right side and run a 5 or 7' long hose?]

Stealth travel divers...do you bring the spine weight pouch [using like less than 10lbs lead in Coz]....or do something else?

Stealth travel divers...do you bring the spine weight pouch
Always. Why would you take it off?

With a skin and hoody I would only carry 2lbs - which is there for psychological rather than physical needs

As a word of caution though. If you've never dived Ali's on your rig (nor boats with it) you run the risk of spending limited vacation time "debugging" your set up. It would be wise to make a shake down shallow shore dive with someone experienced in the Stealth that can assist you in making any changes that might be necessary to the rigging config

Given you overall SM experience up to now, I wonder if you'll detract from your vacation by spending dive after dive tweaking and adjusting the system, rather than enjoying the dive on BM.

I really love my SM on vacation - even on simple 1 hr baby dives. I love that I never have to be concerned by gas contents etc. It's so relaxing.

However before I ever took it away as my primary rig, I'd spent more than a few hours getting it all sorted and squared away as well as making it adaptable to suit whatever gets thrown my way.

More than once my 2 rental cylinders have been different brands with dissimilar characteristics - hence my rig is "built" to allow physical adjustments even underwater to compensate

Just something to consider

@Diving Dubai would it be possible to get a few pictures of how you've got the ring bungees and adjustability setup in your stealth? I've only seen ring bungees on dive rite bcds and I'm curious how yours are set up. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom