Sidemount course cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sidemount “course” cost me my machine time to make a couple of sets of sidemount harness plates and the tooling for modifying MSR dromedary bladders for my instructor (said very tongue in cheek, but he was actually an instructor.)

My first open water dive ever, with multiple cylinders, was SM off of a boat with penetration through a wreck on my homemade rig.

If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I’d gladly cough up the $250-$300 per day for real instruction. Sometimes I wonder how I haven’t killed myself.

Hmmm, seems I have to raise the prices for sidemount in open water if I follow what is written here.
But more seriously, if I'm going to ask 500 or more for a course, nobody will do it anymore because others will teach it for 250-300. I don't talk about a day price, but about the complete 'specialty course' price. Recreational divers won't look at the quality, but most times only at the price.

Most courses here are teached by instructors who never did it in caves, never went in caves, and only dive sidemount when teaching a course. Most students of that courses are the ones that only want to experience sidemount. And want another card. (buy a card printer, that is cheaper, for around 800 you have one)

And a lot of divers are selfteached here. The sidemount card is not required to do other tech courses.
From my experience with self teached, I see people who did it really well and people who did it crap, but the crap ones are most times not the ones that come to me for another course, because I am not a person where you get your cert easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom