Sidemount choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone used the SMS100/75 in back mount single configuration for any length of time. Still on the quest for the "one BC fits all needs" approach as many are. Frankly I suspect it will be in this configuration most of the time which I know begs the question as to why bother. Don't know why, just want to know.

Interesting Benno...but don't all the systems get bulkier when you add weights and air to them? Have you seen the weight system for the Hollis?

Not as much as the Stealth. I use a SMS100 for steel tanks and my weights go under the BP where you would have free space anyway when you pull out that 'pillow thing', so the weights are next to the wing and there are two rows of weights (I had to make it myself though). Even if I have a lot of gas in the wing the profile doesn't get much worse. I agree that the Hollis weight system is bs.
When I dive a harness with a Stealth/Razor style wing on top of 12 kg, the weight is almost 10 cm (?) plus another 20 cm (?). The profile of the hollis is better than that, when using the same amount of weight.
For cave diving with AL tanks I prefer a harness though.
So, what's your condescending comment to that?
I'm no fan boy of any rig, I use what works best for the situation...

@tbone, are you talking to me? Those are pretty much the same numbers I guessed, give or take a L.

Has anyone used the SMS100/75 in back mount single configuration for any length of time. Still on the quest for the "one BC fits all needs" approach as many are. Frankly I suspect it will be in this configuration most of the time which I know begs the question as to why bother. Don't know why, just want to know.

Why bother with trying to use any sidemount system for single tank backmount? None of them were really built for it anyway, regardless of what the marketing says (and I dive a Nomad that is marketed the same way). Just go single tank sidemount, it super comfortable and you still have easy access to your valve. I was able to salvage a dive in MX because I went single tank SM instead of BM. The crappy DIN to yoke adapter supplied by the dive op blew, but feathering the valve I was still able to get a decent dive in, couldn't have done that if I had stuck the tank on my back.

@Sidemount Stu, the Stealth is actually much bulkier when you have to use weights and a filled wing. Same goes for all the other Razor style rigs that have wing and weights on top of each other.

They shouldn't be if you have your weighting correct!

Wow Bennno! I didn't realize i was being condescending.

So you're saying the Stealth will be 30cm off my back when I add weight? I must be using mine wrong (that was meant to be condescending). You do realize the Stealth bladder has bellows to push most of the lift to the sides right? But I digress, this is not answering the OP's question.

ev780 - I've dove a few times back mounted with my Armadillo and once in a Nomad. It is not the best. The buttplate, which you hardly notice in sidemount, becomes very noticeable in backmount, or at least it did for me. It all of a sudden feels like you're wearing a giant diaper. Could be because I normally wear a bp/w for singles though. I would not use the HOG for backmount. As others have pointed out, it's not the most heavy duty system. We tore the bolts through the webbing pretty quickly attaching weights. I hesitate to think what would happen with a heavy tank.

The closest I've gotten to an all in one system is the UTD Alpha/Delta wing mounted on a soft backplate. I added a buttplate for sidemounting and then just removed it for diving singles. It's highly customized though. But it was such a hassle reconfiguring, that I just stick with dedicated systems. I think the key for you, would be the ability to remove the buttplate and add a STA for single tank diving.

So you're saying the Stealth will be 30cm off my back when I add weight? I must be using mine wrong (that was meant to be condescending). You do realize the Stealth bladder has bellows to push most of the lift to the sides right?
So what is it then? (I guess if you had an answer you would have given it) The top bellows still fills up and are on top of the weights... how can that have a better profile than having the weight next to the wing? Did you see that I was talking about heavy tanks? 12l/LP85 I would consider small and when you use those, than you wont need much gas inside the wing.
Is there video or a picture of someone diving the Stealth with LP108/15l or bigger in cold water that still has a good profile. I'd really be surprised. IMHO the Stealth is great for what is was originally made for... cave diving in Mx.

Is there video or a picture of someone diving the Stealth with LP108/15l or bigger in cold water that still has a good profile. I'd really be surprised. IMHO the Stealth is great for what is was originally made for... cave diving in Mx.

I don't have a picture, but this is utter BS. With heavier steel tanks (15l+) I would need less weight not more, so by your own reasoning, that would make for a better profile, not a worse one!

With steel tanks, the negative buoyancy (when empty under water) is included in your weighting, and therefore reduces the extra weight you need to carry. I'm really not sure what your point is with all this?

Either that or I'm missing something here???

So what is it then? (I guess if you had an answer you would have given it) The top bellows still fills up and are on top of the weights... how can that have a better profile than having the weight next to the wing? Did you see that I was talking about heavy tanks? 12l/LP85 I would consider small and when you use those, than you wont need much gas inside the wing.

Still off topic, but I'll answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAR-c0UKM0 Not the lp108s you were asking for. But weight needed to sink is weight needed to sink, whether the ballast is in your tanks or your harness. Now you might tell you're wife that it's 30cm, but I'm pretty sure it is not. Stealth 2.0, out of the box, no mods, ready to go. Students were on a demo dives and had never dove sidemount before. Easy to set them up, get them properly weighted and into the water.
Again, I must be using them wrong...we're cold water diving in Canada.

The Oxycheq Recon sucked. What makes it any better just because they stuck the Hollis logo on it and called it a SMS100? Everybody has to mod it to make it work properly or else they get laughed at by proper sidemount divers. I would definitely not take it into the restrictions that I go into. Snag points everywhere. And then people mount canister lights onto the back to raise the profile even more? Seems dumb to me.

Back
Top Bottom