Sidemount Certifications Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really find that gear-up in SM takes longer than BM? My [rather limited] experience has been the opposite. I cna configure my tanks, etc, ahead of time and donning a BC sans tank is a lot easier than in BM. What is it that you find takes longer?

Bert

Putting tanks on in the water and having to take them off in the water instead of just jumping in and dive and then climb back out. A lot easier to have the tanks strapped in on the boat and throw it on. No real hassle after that.
Aside to that, but do you have any experience sidemounting AL80's? It's a VERY different experience than sidemounting steels. Whole weight distribution and positive buoyancy thing.

Not by any means trying to discourage you, but I concede and dive doubles when I'm on a boat just because it makes life easier. Even though I have a metal to metal connection on the tanks so I can climb out with no weight on the bungees, I still have to remove them because the ladders are too narrow. Hell, I have enough problems trying to my shoulders thru them. You then have to have a divemaster/crew member that is nice enough to lower your tanks into the water and pick them up out of the water for you.

My SM experisnce is still rather limited. I have never donned steel tanks in an SM configuation - I have always used AL 80's. Even at that, I usually don my left tank while on the boat and enter the water with it on. The right tank is usually slung on a staging line and I don that one underwater. Coming out if the water is just the opposite. Disconnect the right tank and resling it on the staging line. Then, climb into the boat with only one tank.

At a resort, this may not work. I doubt that they will have a staging line because no one will be doing any tech stuff. if the boat has a nice walk-through transom with a swim deck, it will be very easy. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I will accomplish water entry and exit.

Bert

BertP:
But, I didn't even know that any company offered such a cert yet. If you look at most PADI outlets, for example, you will see all of the "normal" courses offered and, in some cases, tech courses but I have yet to see a site where a side mount course is offered.
SDI does as does IANTD, don't believe any others do. . . . I have heard the PADI does or is in the works but couldn't find it online,
PADI has offered an Open Water Sidemount Diver course as a Distinctive Specialty since 2009. As of DEMA several weeks ago, it was added to the 'regular' specialty list as well. (In fact, there is - at least - one PADI shop in Raleigh that has been teaching it since 2010.) The DS is a 'wet' course, with two academic sessions, one (or two) gear rigging session, four OW dives. Now, as with many (PADI) specialty courses there is some room for additional activities, depending on the interest of the instructor(s). In the Raleigh course, for example, in addition to basic skills such as buoyancy and trim management, OOA drills, clipping and unclipping bottles, doffing and re-donning underwater, etc., students practice swimming with two 'equal' cylinders (e.g. a couple of 112s), with two dissimilar cylinders (e.g. an AL80 and a HP 100), swimming with one SM cylinder (monkey diving), swimming through hoops (as in PPB), swimming through tubes / culverts with cylinder bottoms detached from the butt plate and held out in front, and unusual attitude swiiming (e.g. swimming inverted), .

PADI hasn't done a good job of making divers aware of its existence (or the existenmce of virtually any Distinctive Specialty) through the PADI website, though, so it is no wonder that divers are unaware it exists. Even if you search the PADI website using 'sidemount', you don't get a hit.

Last edited:
First in last out on sidemount you'll have to be with the inherent extra gear-up and break-down time in diving SM on a boat. Can't quite just jump right in and climb right out
Why not? That's what I did in the Channel Islands, using a pair of HP100's.

Hardest part about using sidemounted doubles on a boat is that the gates aren't built wide enough ... you have to go through them sideways ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Didn't know that about PADI, good to know. I searched there side and there was no mention of it. I knew that instructors could offer it if they wanted to/were qualified but didn't know it was an official course already.
I guess I've just had bad experiences with sidemounting with crews that aren't familiar with it. they get grouchy and it frustrates me, so I just dive doubles. Have a set of LP72's and can borrow a set of HP100's for boat dives.

Didn't know that about PADI, good to know. I searched there side and there was no mention of it.
I was not aware of how carefully hidden it is until several recent posts in this thread caused me to go to the PADI website today and try to search. Nada, zip, zilch. Gues PADI is too excited about entry level rebreathers now.
I knew that instructors could offer it if they wanted to/were qualified but didn't know it was an official course already. As I mentioned, it was only a Distinctive Specialty until a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what other instructors did, but a couple of us did SM instructor training with Jeff Loflin, who wrote the specialty for PADI, in order to be able to teach it. I presume that it will now be the same as other PADI specialties. You have to pledge that you have X number of SM dives, will follow PADI standards, etc.
I guess I've just had bad experiences with sidemounting with crews that aren't familiar with it. they get grouchy and it frustrates me, so I just dive doubles. Have a set of LP72's and can borrow a set of HP100's for boat dives.
It really is a hit or miss thing. And, you are right - it is frankly easier to just dive BM doubles at times. One example - JT Barker (Under Pressure) has a bit of a bias against SM divers on his boat, simply because he had somebody diving SM on his boat early this summer, and they lost their balance while getting ready to splash (had both tanks on, fins on, etc, and a roller hit the boat) and sat down on his GF's mask, smashing it. I dove SM off his boat late in the summer, and had no issues (but he let us know his understandable concerns). Plus, JT now has an electric lift on the back of his boat and diving BM or SM is INFINITELY easier than diving doubles on any other boat off the coast (with the possible exception of diving with Leroy, if he has you shed you gear in the water and then he lifts the doubles up over the side :wink:) The experience of a number of people who have posted in this thread is good evidence - despite the growing enthusiasm for SM outside on caves and shore entries, it has not fully penetrated the comfort zone of staff at either the Caribbean resorts or on the coastal charters (at least the NC charters) yet. But, I suspect next season will be a turning point.

even still, my choice to go sidemount was a personal one for my knee's health, I have no interest in true sidemount cave diving. It saves my knees walking. I have to dive doubles or at least a BM single when I dive with NC State's classes, and thank God for 72's, and I have no problem diving doubles on wrecks because the walk is minimal, and the 100's are fine for that. Still all personal preference, but I still believe doubles is a better choice in wreck diving especially if it isn't a tech charter, if anything for similarity with the knuckleheads out there

Greetings saxplayer I have little issue on Lake Huron wreck diving with SM.
I put my tanks on the boat and climb back on with them as well.
I use Faber LP 85's for primary tanks and hang 02 bottle or other deco gas.
You can use cheaters as we call them or short loops of parachute chord with snaps to secure tanks to chest d-rings if you wish to wear tanks back on the boat.

I let the conditions, waves determine how I rolled.
Normal 2-3 footers you are good rougher waves with swells then I would go with the cheaters just safer.
Not been in any rough seas as of yet but do not fear SM at all.
The worst is the boat hands not used to seeing SM and putting their hands on you while entering or exiting the water.

The key is to train with your rig and become very competent and self sufficient.
Do not be the guy who needs dressed and eased into the water.
If you need help ask for it.

Personally I found SM very easy and comfortable even on rougher days.
When you reached the dock so much easier to carry two individual tanks to the car!
I do not see the big deal and in a few years it will be just another guy on the boat.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have no issues climbing up on the boats and I do have clips connecting my tanks to the bc so the bungees are slack, but a lot of the gates aren't wide enough to easily get through, ladders are never wide enough so you have to have a dm hold onto the tanks for you, especially if there isn't an extra line for stages. In a tech charter I wouldn't hesitate but for a rec charter, it's not worth the hassle. I've been doing it a while now so the only help I really need is to make sure my tanks don't plummit to the bottom if I can't enter and exit with them, and honestly, the whole point of SM for me was to take weight off of my knees, so if I have to climb in and out with them anyway, there's no point in diving SM for me. Tool for the job

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom