Sidemount Certifications Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a litmus test, I'd also be interested to see if the resort is at the same time offering you a Sidemount Class...

PADI Sidemount course (Rec and Tec variants) only became available as standardized qualifications this year. For some reason, PADI have spent an under-whelming amount of effort on promoting them.

I don't see the problem with expecting a qualification from sidemount divers. It's not a fair comparison to hold sidemount against equipment use like an underwater camera - sidemount diving does require a specific skill set.

That said, any dive operator with a semblance of dive community knowledge will be aware that sidemount is a relatively 'home-grown' development and there are many users who didn't receive formal training. In that respect, assessing the logbook is equally valid to the c-card.

I don't see why a dive operator would 'prevent' you from choosing to dive sidemount, should you arrive for diving with your own gear; only requiring tank rental.

I can also see why a dive operator would refuse to rent you sidemount kit, without evidence of training.

Will you be taking your own sidemount kit on the holiday? Or expecting to rent a rig?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom