Sidemount Certifications Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWSWine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I signed up for a trip to Roaton almost a year ago and we leave next week. I was just notified today that since they are a 5 Star Padi resort I will not be able to dive sidemount due to not being certified sidemount diver. I switched to side mount almost 18 months ago due to back problems now I have to make all new arrangements for backmount gear. What are Padi rules?

Wow ... what resort is that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

who notified you of this?
I would venture to say it is the resort making this up. Remember most of all the dive activities on Roatan is recreational,so that would mean single 1 tank dives.

who notified you of this?
I would venture to say it is the resort making this up. Remember most of all the dive activities on Roatan is recreational,so that would mean single 1 tank dives.

I have the Z-Trim 20lbs wing (without manifold) as a travel rig to dive sidemount and yes I planned to do single tank rec stuff. I'm not the only sidemount diver going but others are certified with about 10 dives each.

Certified by who? Do they just want to see a card that says "Sidemount" on it?

Tell em to go take a flying leap. Just show up with your gear. rent a poodle jacket if they make you do a checkout. Then dive your own gear. And yes please name the resort so we can all email them and ask em why a diver cannot use their own rig. All they want is for you to spend more money. Hell I bet someone on here can make you a sidemount card for 20 bucks or so.

Last edited:
There are no PADI rules regarding this. In fact, in the PADI standards every course prerequisite I can think of at the moment states "or equivalent". 18 months of experience diving that configuration should be more than equivalent. Contact PADI - 1-800-729-7234 - and ask them about this. I'm sure you will get a completely different response. I'd also ask them for an e-mail clarifying this so you can forward it to the dive center.

Reactions: Jax
Certified by who? Do they just want to see a card that says "Sidemount" on it?

i echo ron's question. are they asking specifically for a PADI sidemount cert?

i echo ron's question. are they asking specifically for a PADI sidemount cert?

I was told they need to see and sidemount card from a training agency showing that I have completed sidemount training.

I hesitate to name the resort since I getting this from the local trip leader and he said he got from the dive shop at the resort. I'm going email the resort and get straight from them.

I did my NSS/CDS cavern coarse with Reggie and he noted on the application that it was done in sidemount, just wish it said sidemount on the card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom