Sidemount Certifications Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i echo ron's question. are they asking specifically for a PADI sidemount cert?

Does PADI even have a sidemount cert? Not that I need one ... I'd just be surprised if they offered one (yet) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I thought it was a Distinctive Specialty if you do the course now, and becomes an actual Certification after November. However, the PADI temp card I just received says "Certification: Sidemount Diver."

Cannot *imagine* a PADI resort not giving the ok for diving this with just a checkout dive.

Do they make the same requirement for a slung pony?

Does PADI even have a sidemount cert? Not that I need one ... I'd just be surprised if they offered one (yet) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i'm getting some kind of cert card from PADI after completing that class with Dan R. it should arrive soon. i'll let you know what it says.

I was told they need to see and sidemount card from a training agency showing that I have completed sidemount training.

maybe a letter from your instructor might suffice?

I call BS.... Hell, there is a PADI CDC on the island (Coconut Tree Divers) and their tech instructor(Monty) dives side mount the majority of the time.... Although I believe he also teaches side mount classes as well

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Q. How can you tell a PADI sidemount diver?
A. He's the one with the snorkel. :shakehead:

Diving Side Mount- recreational and technical instruction. Deep Down your training matters- Train Right! - Recreational Sidemount
"PADI is leading the world in this at the recreational level and sidemount is set to take the dive world by storm"

This whole thing totally disgusts me, If this is true the only reason for it is PROFIT. I have been thinking of trying side mount, I have been doing a lot of solo diving of my boat and would like the redundancy without having to drag a set of doubles over the side of the boat. I was also thinking side mount would be great if I ever ended up having to dive on a boat with an insta buddy, I would have all the redundancy I want and also pacify the cattle boat operator by diving with a buddy. I sure hope PADI doesn't decide to come out with a but wiping specialty I won't be able to afford to go to the bathroom at a PADI resort anymore.

I have no doubt most on here can pick up sidemount and make it work for them over time, as the OP has. However, don't discount a well taught course. I learned quite a bit that I won't have to work through on my own via trial and error... from rigging, to controlling trim, to making a parked bubble work for me... not to mention being mentored by someone that's been doing it for a good while and able to pick up on even minor transgressions pretty quickly...

That being said, the OP's Roatan resort requiring a cert for it, has amazingly big brass ones...

I signed up for a trip to Roaton almost a year ago and we leave next week. I was just notified today that since they are a 5 Star Padi resort I will not be able to dive sidemount due to not being certified sidemount diver.
This doesn't really make a lot of sense - that because they are a PADI 5 star facility, they won't allow you to dive sidemount unless you have a SM certification. I suspect that a direct conversation with the facility, rather than through your trip leader, would easily straighten this out. If you are already certified at some level of technical / backmount diving, it should not make any difference. Some Caribbean resorts do not allow doubles diving in general, because of concerns about liability. But, I think you would be better off speaking directly with them, rather than speculating on what the real issue is.
NWGrateful Diver:
Does PADI even have a sidemount cert? Not that I need one ... I'd just be surprised if they offered one (yet)
PADI approved an Open Water Sidemount Diver distinctive specialty in 2009.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom