Question Sidemount BCD for a petite female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiloR

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the Title states, I have a female friend that is maybe 5'4" and at most 100#.

She is interested in Sidemount and took a class with a Hollis. It was large on her. We have identified the DiveRite Nomad LS as an option but looking for any other options that might be avail.

An XDeep might wrap almost all the way around her torso. She is not interested in a cake, pizza, and soda diet to bulk up!

Any input is appreciated.

Which Hollis did she use? The Katana 2 is pretty adjustable and might be an option

Will she be diving steels or AL80s?

Razor, XDeep Rec, and Katana2 will all work and likely best options. While there are a children running around in K2s, I think it’s a little long. Would not get the XDeep Tec or the Classic. The SMS75 is also too large.

I have an LS and it's not a little BC. It is small compared to my HOG and the Manta I used to have but given the size of your friend, it might still be too big even adjusted down all the way. If they still made it, the LT Tech would be a great rig for someone that size. Only 25lbs of lift but for al80s or LP72s a great rig. I used to dive mine with LP85s in a drysuit.
However, if you find a good sidemount instructor, they may be able to loan or get ahold of one of a few models to try. Don't buy anything you can't get a chance to try on.
Another option is the Hollis Katana. It can be sized down. So can the razor and the XDeep. Though the X deep wing is on the large side for someone her size. I've built several of them for students and one guy was on the smaller side.
Expect to be cutting a lot of webbing and spending time moving plates, tri glides and tweaking the bands.
I've taught students using about 10 different systems and every one requires adjusting and tweaking to the individual. None fit right out of the box. Some have adjustable straps that can make fitting easier, but like a harness on a BPW, that can be a challenge. Those with a harness that you set and forget are fine but if swapping exposure protection all the time, they make take some getting used to.
The Nomad LS and Katana can be used with al80s and LP72s wet, and up to LP85s if diving dry. Plenty of lift.
Beware of people saying you can/can't do this with rigs unless they have actually tried them. You'll also get a lot of advice from those who have used one or two rigs and that's it.
Find an instructor that actually dives multiple rigs and has experience teaching people using multiple rigs. Not the one who took a one-weekend workshop to teach and seems to only recommend the rig they dive or their shop sells.

Which Hollis did she use? The Katana 2 is pretty adjustable and might be an option

Will she be diving steels or AL80s?
She would be diving Steel 50's for now. Maybe AL80's in the future.

The DR Nomad LS is really meant for aluminums. The Katana 2 is billed as being able do both steels and aluminums.

The DR Nomad LS is really meant for aluminums. The Katana 2 is billed as being able do both steels and aluminums.
Two LP50"s would be 26# less than two AL80's. I can't see how that would be an issue. Even LP85's should be fine weight-wise since they are nearly identical to the AL80.
Tell me what I am missing in understanding.

any of the mexico style systems would work as the harness is adjustable. the DECO 22lb bladder is likely the smallest one on the market currently (outside of finding a dive rite trim pillow).

The nomad LS has 35lbs of lift. With a drysuit or even 5 mil wetsuit that's more than enough for LP85's.
The old Nomad LT's did not really have enough lift for diving them wet with their 25-28lb lift capacity even though it was done. I did in a 5 mil and was fine for me. 72s and LP50s were awesome with it! Like having nothing on.
There is nothing on the Dive Rite site that says the LS is for al80s or not for LP/HP steels.
LP85s are 8lbs neg each when full. add another 8 for regs and you're still only at 24 lbs.
I could add an al40 stage, can light, and a couple of reels and still be ok. Hell, with that lift I could dive my LP95s with it.
This is why you don't take advice from people who have limited experience with different configurations and cylinders.

any of the mexico style systems would work as the harness is adjustable. the DECO 22lb bladder is likely the smallest one on the market currently (outside of finding a dive rite trim pillow).

They make a nice compact rig. Just need to add hardware and webbing.

Back
Top Bottom