Sidemount AI configuration options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I have stated, I run only transmitters and see the addition of spgs as unneeded overkill.

However, I do carry two spgs and hoses in my dive bag just in case I would have a failure. This way I don’t have to scrap a dive.

Always be prepared but don’t take unnecessary gear with you is how I see it.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet I run transmitters down and SPGs sticking straight up. No deep penetration dives so entanglement isn't a problem.

My wife has a cow every time I want to remove the SPGs, maybe I'll show her this thread. I think that's because her Suunto transmitter failed way back when she dove single tank so she thinks my Oceanic/Hollis/Shearwater transmitters will too.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet I run transmitters down and SPGs sticking straight up.
I'm a full AI convert, no SPGS.

I'm doing my TDI SM course in a couple of weeks and I have a feeling I'll be required to use SPGs, if I do I'll lollipop them too but they'll be back in my spares as soon as I finish the course.

I'm a full AI convert, no SPGS.

I'm doing my TDI SM course in a couple of weeks and I have a feeling I'll be required to use SPGs, if I do I'll lollipop them too but they'll be back in my spares as soon as I finish the course.

I’ve been running straight AI on 15cm hoses, rec diving, for the past few weeks. Love it and zero issues. Just moved the transmitters to a direct connection with the 1st stages to trial.
I have an Extended Range course scheduled on the Gili’s in a couple of weeks. It’ll be interesting to see how the instructor feels about the setup.

I’ve been running straight AI on 15cm hoses, rec diving, for the past few weeks. Love it and zero issues. Just moved the transmitters to a direct connection with the 1st stages to trial.
I have an Extended Range course scheduled on the Gili’s in a couple of weeks. It’ll be interesting to see how the instructor feels about the setup.
Yeah both SM and ER standards and procedures state SPGs are required, I guess it would depend on if the instructor believes just AI is ok.

I have my TXs connected directly too, no issues.

Good luck with your course.

Yeah both SM and ER standards and procedures state SPGs are required, I guess it would depend on if the instructor believes just AI is ok.

I just converted my SM regs to add AI transmitters on 9” hoses. I am using ring bungees and have first stages down to the 9” hoses make it a little easier to tuck the TxPods out of the way.
I did try to fit them w no hoses, but they would not clean the AL80 tanks I am temporarily using (in prep for a Mexico trip).

FWIW, I do have button gauges on the regs for now, as I need a quick way to check gas pressure at setup as I am dialing in weights at various tank pressures. Maybe I will ditch them. I don’t see any real downside to keeping them though.

Regarding SM training. I think it’s a good idea for new SM divers to train using analog gauges. Being comfortable checking gas pressures in SM is one of the major things you need to learn. And you should be able to do it, in case you do have a gear failure and swap to gauges at some point. I am not an instructor, but I can’t imagine a good SM instructor handing out a cert if a student has not demonstrated this skill at least once.

but they don't specify whether they have to be analog or not...

This is how I'm hoping my instructor thinks.

Tell them how to think :p . It's a pretty small compromise (if they want to see it that way) considering you're paying. No point getting specialty training if you're not going to dive that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom