Sidemount AI configuration options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, how things change. I remember when mentioning the word transmitter or AI on this board got a huge amount of flaming responses on entanglement, failure, etc even for recreational diving and now they are accepted for cave.

Wow, how things change. I remember when mentioning the word transmitter or AI on this board got a huge amount of flaming responses on entanglement, failure, etc even for recreational diving and now they are accepted for cave.

Shearwater changed the game by allowing you to have a no-compromises computer in addition to transmitters. Prior to the Perdix AI, nothing else was a good enough computer option to even bother with it

For overheads I’d go with the transmitters on 6” hoses.....hard mount gives me the heebee geebees......I’d keep it simple and put a button gauge on the firsts if you must have a third means of gas knowledge.
We've had some back-and-forth about button gauges on another thread, and other people have pooh-poohed the idea, but I still second the idea of using button gauges in the top-facing HP ports. Button gauges aren't exactly accurate, and they're not very useful underwater, but they're exceedingly convenient for getting a quick-and-dirty pressure readout while on the surface. I use my button gauges for that purpose every time I dive SM.

I’ve gone with a direct swap of the SPG’s with transmitters on the 15cm hose. Just doing fun dives around Koh Tao but so far it’s freakin brilliant. I can literally see the decrease in Bar from a couple of breaths. Barring technical issues I’m seeing no good reasons to adjust this configuration.
To quote the McDonald’s slogan, I’m lovin it.

I remember the Baker's Dozen reasons for not using a computer at all. Advances in technology have made them pretty much obsolete. I love AI for the rec dives I'm doing now and if I was going on another cave diving trip I'd add a second transmitter to my side mount regs.

We've had some back-and-forth about button gauges on another thread, and other people have pooh-poohed the idea, but I still second the idea of using button gauges in the top-facing HP ports. Button gauges aren't exactly accurate, and they're not very useful underwater, but they're exceedingly convenient for getting a quick-and-dirty pressure readout while on the surface. I use my button gauges for that purpose every time I dive SM.
The second time the button gauge hung up in my shoulder d-ring I took them off and haven't missed them. When the guys with experience tell me things, I listen when all other options have been exhausted. There are plenty of other reasons, but that one was undeniable. If I want an analog spg, I'll just go with the real thing.

I concur with others who have suggested transmitters only. I've never had a problem underwater.

My only suggestion, have a spare transmitter or spg in your save a dive kit. I've had 2 fail, both above water.

Two transmitters? What sort of failure?

One was burning through batteries (like overnight) then stopped. The other was working during a dive on a Saturday then dead when I setup my gear on the Sunday morning. Shearwater replaced the units and I have a third so no big deal.

Both failures were easy to catch and unless I didn't do gear checks would never be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom