Side mount hose routing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Pullmyfinger I like to keep my hoses nice and clean with not a lot of extra length.
I run my long hose on my right tank, dry suit inflation on the right tank, bungeed necklace on left, BC inflator on left.
I have 6 inch HP hoses with 2.5 brass and glass gauges turned down on each tank.
A class and or rig from Edd would make things simpler but there is always a bit of customizing to be expected.
It is a process that requires some patience and persistence.

It is well worth the time and energy SM is very enjoyable.

CamG

Hi Cam,

I'm going to drive over tomorrow and see Ed.
I'll buy a book while I'm there, and make arrangements for a class, when I get back from the desert. Sometime between May and July.

Because I'm headed to another aircraft carrier in July. I've had a lot of travel lately...so I'm squeezing training in between trips.

I just finished up a MOD 1 class after my recent carrier trip.

I should have fewer trips after Oct. this year.

Thanks for the hose routing information....they way you have yours, is about what I had in mind.

I'll speak to Ed tomorrow, and arrange some training.

Thanks,
Mitch

I'm curious about how hose routing is currently done....What I am most interested in doing is having the hoses set up, to where the long hose is the primary and on the right side tank. Or a hose routing setup that is at least close to the typical long hose setup.

When I transitioned to sidemount, I wanted my hose configuration to ensure a continuation of familiarity and muscle-memory that I had developed from years of diving backmount doubles/hogarthian config.

Here's how I do it (and how I see every sidemount instructor with a tech pedigree doing it around here):

Left Cylinder:

SPG on a 6" HP Hose - A majority route the SPG down along the cylinder. They cite 'entanglement hazard' as a reason for avoiding 'lollipop' (upwards) SPG - so that primarily stems from overhead environment diving concerns. I don't see much to favor lollipop SPGs, other than it's initially easier. Some might call that an equipment solution to a skills problem.

Long Hose - Routed downwards from the regulator and neatly stowed under several rings of bungee/rubber loops. When donning, the diver pulls just sufficient hose out of the loops to hog-wrap the long hose. The hose routes up from the left cylinder - so it travels from an almost identical direction as with back-mount. Air-sharing is identical to back-mount. Donate the regulator, then instead of disengaging from underneath a can-light on the hip, you simply pull the remaining length of hose from the loops for a fully extended deployment.

I don't dive drysuit, but if I did, the inflator would route from the regulator 5th/end-port (SP MKs5s) inwards across the chest to connect. I'd rotate the drysuit inflator to meet the LPI from that direction.

Right Cylinder:

SPG on a 6" HP Hose - as above.

Short Hose - Routed from the cylinder upwards (through the crease of the armpit), around neck and stowed in a bungee necklace. Again, the 'feel' and function is identical to back-mount. Hose length depends on personal need, but it is longer than 22" for backmount. I use regulators with a swivel turrent (SP MK25s), which allows me to use a 36" short hose. It sounds long, but it works well. When I don the rig, I deploy the short hose, wrap it up and around the neck, into the bungee necklace. There is some 'slack' left in the hose. I rotate the swivel turret downwards on the inside, this takes the slack up... the hose kinda goes under my armpit, then up through the crease of my arm and around my neck. It molds there nicely. That gives me flexibility when partially detaching/forward pushing the cylinders. It also gives me a 36" hose as an alternative ad-hoc donation method (bungee necklace is detachable, not fixed).

I've seen some divers fit a long hose to the right cylinder also. This effectively answers any issue about 'donate from mouth' and mixed-team protocols. They just pull out sufficient hose to hog wrap as per normal for short hose, leaving the remainder of the length ready for deployment if air-sharing occurs.

I've also seen some instructors/diver putting the long hose on the left side, with short hose from the right. I see no real logic to that. It's just disruptive of your existing familiarity and instincts (i.e. long hose freeflows, shut down the right-side valve...).

LPI Hose - This depends on (1) if the regulator does/doesn't have a 5th/End port and (2) whether your sidemount BCD is top or bottom mounted. I prefer a bottom mount LPI for greater protection and my regs (SP MK25) have the 5th/end-port. I route a short 8" LPI from the end-poit directly across my chest, where the inflator is clipped off on my right chest D-ring via bolt-snap/bungee extension.

Also...any information about rigging hoses for a single tank setup vs. a double tank set up would be appreciated.

Everything as per 'Right Cylinder' except the long hose is also fitted on this side. It routes down from the regulator and is stowed in bungee/rubber loops. I see some divers leave it undeployed - ready to pull free for air-sharing and use only their short hose. I see other divers partially deploy it for hog wrapping - breathing from it as primary and having the short hose in position.

Leaving the long hose stowed and deploying it from the cylinder only if needed for air-sharing is easiest. Deploying/wearing it is most consistent with double-tank and backmount protocols.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the break down of your rig.

I really appreciate everyone's replies to my questions.

Some points after reading over the replies so far.

1.) Having the SPGs route down along the cylinder(s) is preferable to me.

2.) I have seen diagrams and read descriptions of the long hose being routed from the left side tank. After reading here, that does seem to be the way many are routing it. It's good to read why that is so.

3.) Most of my diving is dry, so I was curious about the preferred way to route the drysuit hose.

4.) In regards to the short hose regulator coming from the right tank: It is being routed from the valve----> across your chest----> and then around the back of your neck? OR....does it route from the valve----> immediately across the back of the neck----> and then to your mouth? In this case the 2nd stage hose gets switched to the opposite side, correct?

5.) I will look into it further in regards to also having a long hose on the right side tank. At this point in researching it...I would prefer to have my primary/right tank, also be on a long hose.

6.) All of my O.C. regs are 5th port swivel regs, except for one Halcyon H-50D (SP Mk-17). Everything else is either SP Mk25/G250V regs, or Dive Rite RG3100s.....all those swivels....waiting to spontaneously fail!...It's like handling rattle snakes! haha!
The LPI routing was one of the things that seemed to differ among side mount divers, and the various rigs. It seems that 5th port regs are ideal for getting the LPI routing sorted out.

7.) You hit on my mail goal (at this point) in setting up my side mount rig, which is deploying gas for sharing. I would certainly prefer it to be the most consistent with the double tank protocols I have already trained and dove with.

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mitch

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

I just returned from speaking with Edd at Cave Adventures; what a great guy.

I bought his side mount book, and had a pretty lengthy discussion about some of the different rigs available.
He also gave me a run down on his modded rig! :wink:

I discussed plans for some training in about 4 months; for a cavern class combined with introduction to cave.

Bamafan...I asked if I needed to bring some screwdrivers. :cool2:

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
I've also seen some instructors/diver putting the long hose on the left side, with short hose from the right. I see no real logic to that. It's just disruptive of your existing familiarity and instincts (i.e. long hose freeflows, shut down the right-side valve...).

Andy, isn't this what you described above? I'm confused . . .

i quite like having the long hose on the left side (as worn):

left side:

• 6" HP hose running straight down the tank
  • 9" LP inflator hose coming out of the 5th port for BC inflation (sms 100 with a bottom mounted corrugated hose)
  • 7' LP hose running down the tank and back up, then around my neck with the 2nd stage on a 70 degree swivel adapter (this goes over the 9" inflator/corrugated hose with respect to my body so that it can be donated)

right side:

• 6" HP hose running straight down the tank
  • (9" LP inflator hose coming out of the 5th port for dry suit inflation)
  • 28" LP hose running kind of down toward the tank and back toward my hip, then up my torso toward my arm pit, then hanging on a necklace with a 90 degree swivel adapter (also goes over the 9" dry suit inflator hose)

there are a few reasons i like this:

1. there are no LP hoses crossing in front of my chest. reduced clutter.
  2. my corrugated hose rests in the middle of my chest (it comes up from my bottom left and is clipped on a breakaway clip retainer to the bottom most d-ring on my right side). this allows me to easily find the inflator and inflate with either hand.
  3. when reg switching, it's impossible to cross the LP hoses or get them tangled with one another.

I have recently converted to side mount and use a Halcyon back plate and wing. I have done about 30 dives now with my rig and am still tinkering with hose routing. The one that is giving me the biggest concern is the inflation hose. I run it from the left tank (as worn)to connect to the wing inflate deflate hose. However I try to route it, the same problem seems to occur in that the hose takes a very sharp right angle turn to go upwards from the point where it connects to the first stage, this seems to already be causing the hose to weaken at that point. Does anyone have a similar rig and has solved this problem?

Back
Top Bottom