Siargao + ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tdog3261

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am going to Siargao in oct/nov and looking for a second location. Strongly considering Sogod and Davao, but interested in ideas!

I am looking for advice in terms of where to stay in Siargao that's nice and has a dive shop or is very close to the diving.

Also, Sogod travel advice.....how do you get to the dive locations efficiently - in terms of time, where are the best places to go?. I've tried to book Sogod in the past and never found an efficient way to get around. I don't mind liveaboard or dive treks.

thanks,

I thought Siargao is more well known for surfing.
Surigao is the nearest. There is one dive operator based at Punta Bilar.
There is ferry linking Surigao(Lipata) with Liloan(daily) and Maasin(2-3 times/wk) in Southern Leyte(www.schedule.ph).
If you need a economical room in Surigao, try Miami City Suites in the town centre.

Last edited:
siargao: there is a dive shop in the permanent market area on the beach in general luna. i forget the name. when i was there in december they could not find a second diver during the week i was there, so can't say anything about either the shop or the diving. there are dozens of places to stay along the beach surrounding general luna. 'motorcycle' rental is reasonably cheap and plentiful. imo siargao island as a whole is one of the more interesting places in philippines (surface wise). it is beautiful, laid back, and friendly. you will likely have the island to yourself at the time you plan to be there. be prepared for rain.

the transportation options in and out of surigao are as centrals says. the ferries to lilo-an, san ricardo (frequent ferries daily), and maasin (south leyte) leave from the main port, about 15 minutes out of the city. if you plan to go to leyte this way, it might be in your best interest to grab the long distance bus to manila, in surigao. the bus originates in davao. ask the driver to let you out in front of your resort, which he is likely to do. worst case scenario you get off in sogod city and take local tranport up the bay from there. the local bus from lilo-an, and especially san ricardo, is slow. distances are farther on the ground than they appear on a map. if you have the time and the patience it is fine, and in any event is completed during daylight. the ferries to and from siargao/surigao are primarily passenger bancas, and leave regularly from the boulevard.

there is a daily cebu pacific prop flight from siargao into and out of cebu. the maximum advanced luggage you can pay for is 20kg. you can buy overage at the airport only, and it is piss you off expensive.

sogod bay: you can't go wrong diving in south leyte/sogod bay. there are several well regarded dive ops there who will take good care of you. my favorite is peter's. from surigao your arrival options are as above. from cebu there are ferries to maasin and hilongos (i think ormoc is too far out and don't recommend it). from maasin it is +/-45 minutes to the padre burgos area, and from hilongos closer to 90 minutes. from manila, fly to tacloban and arrange private transport (about 3 hours). while it isn't the easiest place to get to, no one complains about the diving once there.

davao: why? it's the kind of place to visit if you have friends there, or are on an extended holiday. very extended. that's just my opinion, but if you have your reasons good advice will be forthcoming.

good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
I am not sure if the suggested long distance bus (Davos to Manila) will pass through Padre Burgos. It probably heads straight north to Tacloban once over to Leyte from Surigao.
Another diving destination is Camiguin where you can reach by catching the fast ferry from Cagayan De Oro. And if you do not want to catch any ferry then there is Mantangale Alibuag Dive Resort outside CDO and if you are coming from Surigao then you don't need to go to the city at all. There is also a slow roll-roll to Camiguin near Mantangale's side if you preferred.
There are frequent jeepney service between Maasin and Padre Burgos until late afternoon. And from Padre Burgos take the motor tricycle to the resort and if you do not have any luggage you can walk it(20 mins). I had stayed at Peter's on couple occasions, top notch.
As far as I am concern, General Santos is a lot better than Davao in terms of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom