SI Tech seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49north

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anybody use the SI Tech seal system? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

From what I can tell, the seals appear to be easy to change, but I have read that they can be a struggle. I read this in older posts, so I am wondering if there have been any changes or improvements.

Is the Quick Neck system better than the Neck Tite system? I understand it is more flexible.

Thanks.

I have quick rings (iirc) on my bare suit. The wrist seals are not hard to change, but they are not "easy". You can do it wearing the suit, but it's much easier if you pull your arm out the sleeve and use both hands. I'd rate it as a bit easier to change than the Viking seals on my Santi suit, but it's also easier to pull the seals loose accidentally (I've done that at least once in that suit using heavy duty latex seals that take a lot of effort to get on or off). The locking ring for SI tech is pushed in from the front (finger side), while the Viking one in pushed in from the back (arm side).

I like the viking rings other than the fact that it needs an o-right to handle dry gloves and the o-ring tends to fall out. And viking doesn't sell them. So you need to go find an industrial seal/gasket/o-ring supply house and give them the remaing o-ring so they can size it and sell you a bag of a dozen for $10. Put that in your dry suit bag, you'll need it again. But the bayonet connectors are much easier to do than the SI tech friction connectors.

I've heard good things on quick neck, I have a neck tite on the bare suit. It is a lot of work to install seals on this, do not lose the tool you get with the kit. You will not be replacing the neck seal while wearing the suit with either of these.

We have suits with oval SI rings and the Neck Tite system. I'm very happy with them but my wife would like the neck system to be more flexible.

I have a Si Tech seal system - there are two versions - the older more stiff neck and the newer more flexible neck. The wrist seals are either oval or round. The Si Tech system works great and seals are easy to remove and install.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Si Tech seal system - there are two versions - the older more stiff neck and the newer more flexible neck. The wrist seals are either oval or round. The Si Tech system works great and seals are easy to remove and install.

This may be a stupid question, but can you use dry gloves with the oval wrist seals?

My Waterproof D7 came with silicone seals, NeckTite and the Antares oval rings glued in the arms. To avoid changing the rings in the suit, I opted for the Antares oval ring system when I switched from wet to dry gloves.

Pros: Lower profile arm rings, so it's easier to don/doff a BP/W with continuous webbing. Very comfortable. Easy to change the wrist seals (I changed both wrist seals in about ten minutes). Can't say about the neck seal, I haven't had to change that yet.

Cons: The Antares rings are rather finicky to don properly, it's easy to miss out and have a wet arm. Silicone seals are rather fragile, I got less than 50 dives out of my wrist seals. The neck ring is a bit bulky and for me it restricts movement when I try to reach across my chest to the opposite shoulder.

I am not sure what would fit the oval ones
I use these:

Cost between 1/5 and 1/10th of a pair of smurf gloves and work very well with the Antares rings.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I'm still undecided as to whether or not we should get this system when we order our drysuits.

If you don't get the system then when a seal breaks it'll put a hold on any diving plans you may of had until you can glue a seal on. If you have the system then a seal breaking is a matter of taking off the ring removing the seal, placing a new seal and possibly trimming it - a 10min fix at most. I advise you to get the system.

If you don't get the system then when a seal breaks it'll put a hold on any diving plans you may of had until you can glue a seal on. If you have the system then a seal breaking is a matter of taking off the ring removing the seal, placing a new seal and possibly trimming it - a 10min fix at most. I advise you to get the system.
I have heard that some people (if they have narrow shoulders) find that the straps from the BC can press the neck ring into your shoulders and be uncomfortable. Have you heard of this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom