Si Tech Quick Glove came off. Any advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! Yesterday I had my first ice dive. For this purpose I installed the SiTech Quick Gloves system to my Fusion Tech. Two things bothered me:

1) Donning the gloves was so easy at home, but out on the lake squeezing the glove ring into the docking ring required a considerable effort - I even needed help. Could it be because of the low air temperature (-4*C /24*F)? Or did I do something wrong?

2) I was concerned that the gloves might leak because of the loose o-ring issue I read about in an older thread. That was not the case, but during the dive one of the gloves came off. It was the larger blue Spanner ring that popped out of its groove together with the glove. Low temperature again? Water was about 4*C/29*F. Or maybe I should leave the glove a little longer to allow more space for movement? When installed in the glove ring, the glove appears to sit quite firmly, but can be pulled out together with the Spanner ring if I pull a bit harder. What people do to prevent it? Is there a larger Spanner ring than the blue one? Or should I glue the gloves into the rings? What glue? Do you think, I should have tried to pull out the equalizing tube when it happened to avert water entrance? I'd be grateful for any advise as this was my first encounter with dry gloves.

Otherwise I was impressed by the Whithes Thermal Fusion undergarment and MK3 Glacier socks. I was comfortably warm during the dive and even the flooded sleeve retained some insulation. It protected me well also on the shore while I was changing in a windy weather and freezing temperatures.

Many thanks! J.

What kind of glove were you using? It has been our experience that if you use any kind of a glove that can compress, it will, and it will leak or come loose at depth. I use the Atlas rubber gloves, which have no compressability, and I use the blue rings, and the gloves don't come loose easily at all.

That is an install issue. There are a few other colors, I believe black, yellow, and green, along with the blue. I can not remember which one is a larger diameter, but you do need to switch them out to it. Which gloves are you using? I have had good success with the Atlas 495's. How much you leave extended it going to depend on your arm length and your suit sleeve length. I typically leave about 30mm past the course part of the glove, but that is for my suit and my arm length.

I use the EZ-On Gloves from Whites. The Quick Glove system comes with two Spanner rings - black and blue, and blue is the larger one. I don't know if I can look for a larger ring from a different system. Yeah, I was wondering whether I didn't install the glove too short and that's why it was ripped off with some movement of my arm. Anyhow, it seems to come off too easy.

Many thanks! J.

1) Donning the gloves was so easy at home, but out on the lake squeezing the glove ring into the docking ring required a considerable effort - I even needed help. Could it be because of the low air temperature (-4*C /24*F)? Or did I do something wrong?

Lick it (the o-ring) or if you're not comfortable with that then spit on it or find some other way to lubricate it.

2) I was concerned that the gloves might leak because of the loose o-ring issue I read about in an older thread. That was not the case, but during the dive one of the gloves came off. It was the larger blue Spanner ring that popped out of its groove together with the glove. Low temperature again? Water was about 4*C/29*F. Or maybe I should leave the glove a little longer to allow more space for movement?

You said you had trouble getting them on. Is it possible that it just wasn't pushed in all the way?

R..

Okay I have the same system that I installed in my suit. I use the blue ring, and punctured a glove and had to change it. It felt pretty secure when removing it, about the same as my Viking system. If it were me, I would switch gloves. I buy gloves and liners at the same time and always stock a spare pair.

They come with a lube stick so no licking needed. The "loose" o-ring is a different glove system, not on the oval system.

So far the only thing I don't like about the oval system is when I go to wash my suit I always put the gloves on. No problem there...but when taking them back off again, yeesh! The whole thing spins and doesn't release, with the slippery silicon seals. I wind up having to put my arms inside my suit and doing it the way described by making a fist and twisting.

I think you are saying the gloves and ring that holds the glove inside the docking ring fell out. I put a wrap of electrical tape on the blue spanner ring since the same thing happened to me. They've been in place for 2.5 years. They do leak depending if ive managed to snag my wrist seals or glove fluff or if the person who helped me snap them on did it with equal pressure around the o ring. I cannot self don these gloves, an licking works best ime.

So far the only thing I don't like about the oval system is when I go to wash my suit I always put the gloves on. No problem there...but when taking them back off again, yeesh! The whole thing spins and doesn't release, with the slippery silicon seals. I wind up having to put my arms inside my suit and doing it the way described by making a fist and twisting.

Are you talking about the "Antares" system?

Are you talking about the "Antares" system?
That is what I'm wondering myself I have the quicklocks and they are twist on. Antares on the other hand are push in and then your suppost to grab the inner material of the glove turn your wrist and it should come off but I don't own the system so I dunno how hard/easy it is.

That is what I'm wondering myself I have the quicklocks and they are twist on. Antares on the other hand are push in and then your suppost to grab the inner material of the glove turn your wrist and it should come off but I don't own the system so I dunno how hard/easy it is.

Thanks for the distinction. Are the "Quicklock"s oval?

Back
Top Bottom